Zebra Danios Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaxerGun93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many Zebra Danios fit in a 20G tank? i currently have 8 but wanna add 2 more this week. Also what food do they like? or the best food for them?:thanks:

Is is 20g long, or a 20g high. Also, what else is in there?
For food, the best foods are the ones with the least fillers in them. Many people like New Life Spectrum and similar formulas.

if its a long with good filtration you could probably have around 20, if its a 20gal high it is really not suited for danios

Stocking Zebra Danios

How many Zebra Danios fit in a 20G tank? i currently have 8 but wanna add 2 more this week. Also what food do they like? or the best food for them?:thanks:

Hello Blax...

Zebras get to a couple of inches long. 10 would likely be the most for a small tank. They are one of the hardiest aquarium fish you can have, but they deserve pure water conditions like all fish. I'd say go with a couple more and up your water changes to half the tank's volume a couple of times a week. This way you'll stay ahead of any water chemistry problems.

I'd feed a little variety. A tiny bit of flaked, some freeze dried Tubifex worms and a little frozen bloodworms, plankton, Mysis or brine shrimp. Feed a little a couple of times a week and you'll have a cleaner tank.

B

Hello Blax...

Zebras get to a couple of inches long. 10 would likely be the most for a small tank. They are one of the hardiest aquarium fish you can have, but they deserve pure water conditions like all fish. I'd say go with a couple more and up your water changes to half the tank's volume a couple of times a week. This way you'll stay ahead of any water chemistry problems.

I'd feed a little variety. A tiny bit of flaked, some freeze dried Tubifex worms and a little frozen bloodworms, plankton, Mysis or brine shrimp. Feed a little a couple of times a week and you'll have a cleaner tank.

B

Its a 20G high. But i'm planning on upgrading to a bigger tank. Ill just leave the 8 for now and my water levels are good with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 15-20 nitrate. I've tried giving them dried frozen bloodworms but they didnt really go for them only about half the group.

Be careful with the dried bloodworms. They should be soaked a bit before giving them to the fish because they expand in water. Also, not all fish really go for them. Try frozen bloodworms sometime. They go over !much better in my tank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you really want to see a show, try feeding danios fruit flies or micro worms, or any other live food. They will go after live flies like missiles on a mission.. hit them hard and snatch them under. Worms too, or fly larvae, also taken eagerly.

Next best is frozen; daphnia, bloodworm or mysis shrimp all good.

Live food is always best, but even if you can't provide it always, try to give it at least once or twice a week. Seeing fish fly after live flies on the surface is truly fun to watch, and they'll follow worms right to the bottom to grab them too. They get much more excited by live or frozen food than by many of the dry foods.

Be careful with the dried bloodworms. They should be soaked a bit before giving them to the fish because they expand in water. Also, not all fish really go for them. Try frozen bloodworms sometime. They go over !much better in my tank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't worry i did soak them a bit. I couldn't find any frozen bloodworms anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom