Zebra Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deckape

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any advice on the maximum amount of Zebra Danios that could comfortably fit in a 55 gallon regular tank. I am fishless cycling (still) and saw these fast swimming beauties the other day and would love to have a school of theses hyperactive speed demons. Whatcha think? Thinking of just doing these guys as a species only.

IMO if that is all you are getting you could probably actually push it to 40. I was just looking at these before i put mine in. That is a lot of Fish!

Man wouldn't that be pretty? Thanks. I was gonna go with guppies but the way the danios school was hypnotizing.

Finally have nitrites....now the long wait begins.....as I have been told. Bought a tank for fish, all I have is bacteria (at last!) So SOME people cycle WITH danois, I am fishless cycling FOR danios

Finally have nitrites....now the long wait begins.....as I have been told. Bought a tank for fish, all I have is bacteria (at last!) So SOME people cycle WITH danois, I am fishless cycling FOR danios

Good job! Why sacrifice fish when it is so simple to do it without fish? :)

Just glad I stumbled across this forum before I bought fish. One worker at a large LFS didn't even know about fishless cycling. It took me one hour of homework and found out. This is going to be a hobby for me but this dude thinks he is a professional. Glad he isn't trying to be a vessel Master. I would throw him outta my classroom.

Just glad I stumbled across this forum before I bought fish. One worker at a large LFS didn't even know about fishless cycling. It took me one hour of homework and found out. This is going to be a hobby for me but this dude thinks he is a professional. Glad he isn't trying to be a vessel Master. I would throw him outta my classroom.

Yeah, when you go to a LFS, just let them give you their little bit of advice (so that their boss thinks they are doing their job) and just smile and nod. Take everything they say (if you're even paying attention to them) with a grain of salt. A lot of times, they are kids that are doing the job part time for some extra money and don't have much knowledge about fish-keeping.

Viper said:
Yeah, when you go to a LFS, just let them give you their little bit of advice (so that their boss thinks they are doing their job) and just smile and nod. Take everything they say (if you're even paying attention to them) with a grain of salt. A lot of times, they are kids that are doing the job part time for some extra money and don't have much knowledge about fish-keeping.

Well put. I actually found a nice Mom and Pop that is good and I am doing my buisness with them. Have a great day

Some filter media from an established tank will get your new setup ready much faster than cycling from scratch. Put an aquaclear 110 on one end of the tank and a powerhead on the other to create a good flow and you can easily maintain a large school of zebra danios. A few hillstream loaches like Sewellia lineolata would also be a nice addition after the tank is well-established, or a couple of BN pleco's to keep the algae under control and clean up leftover food.

Thanks, I have an aquaclear 50 on one end and an aquatech 30/60 on the back evenly spaced apart and an air pump for a 100 gallon running a 24 inch bubble wand. Do you think that would be alright? I never could get any filter media or substrate from anyone. The cycle is moving along well though. Had over 5 ppm nitrities and 40 ppm nitrates last nite. I am about to go check the water now. So in your opinion how many of each fish should I get? I want a bunch of danios...Thanks

Edit : 5 ppm or more nitrite. 80 ppm of nitrate, 2 ppm of ammonia ( 2 ppm consumed in less than 12 hours) ph is 7.5 averaged between high and low range. Added 2 ml of ace hardware ammonia to get it back up to 4 ppm. Water temp is 85. Using the API test kit

Your temp is way too high for zebra danio's, they're fine in the low 70's. Same with the hillstream loaches; warmer water holds less dissolved O2. Nitrate needs to be kept below 20 ppm for the fish, not an issue for cycling though.
As for numbers, you can actually put quite a few danios in a 55. Forget the 1"/gallon standard, it's really not applicable IME. The real concerns are the fishes behavior (territorial or schooling) and water quality. As long as they aren't fighting over territory and you keep the water clean you can easily double or even triple the 1"/gallon standard. Last month I culled a load of Cryptoheros cutteri cichlids that had grown out from a spawn last year in a 55. Most were 3"+, breeding size adults, but weren't actively breeding because the temp in the tank (basement, no heater in the tank) was below 70. I counted 80 fish, well over 200" total, when I cleared out the tank. They were all fine and healthy, none stunted or beat up. That tank is filtered by 2 aquaclear 70's and an air-driven hydrosponge filter.
My 30 long BN breeding tank is similar, I just moved 50+ ~1.5" juvies into a 33 long for further growout. The 30 houses 4 adult BN, 6 L-333's, one spawn of smaller (~1") BN fry, a couple hundred endler's livebearers, and every month or so I thin out several hundred ramshorn snails. The tank is filtered by an eheim canister and 2 air-driven sponge filters. The canister flow tends to slow down between cleanings, sometimes almost stopping, but the air keeps the water moving. The tank is loaded with Najas and duckweed, the fast-growing plants keep the nitrates low even with the large bioload. That tank has been running that way for several years now, and I regularly move dozens of healthy BN and endler's out of it.
You'll need to add fish in groups, not all at once, to allow the bacteria to adjust to the increased load.

Thank you so much. The only reason my tank is hot right now is because I am doing a fishless cycle. I only started seeing nitrites and nitrates 2 days ago. Thanks for the info about the "1'" rule. I think I will get 30 danios when the cycle is done and I do a PWC and lower the temp to a level for cool water fish. Do you think with a 30/60 aquatech and an aquaclear 50 along with a 100 gallon air pump serving a 24 inch bubble wand is sufficient for 30 danios and fry when they come? Thanks for the thourough answer
As soon as I figure out how to give y'all "rep" I defiantly will. Thanks so much again....Wayne the Deckape.

The filters should be enough for the bioload, particularly if you stack several sponge blocks in the aquaclear. The aquatech is more useful for circulation than filtration IMO, a powerhead would actually be more useful for that aspect. The bubble wand is also helpful for circulating the water, though most of the O2/CO2 exchange takes place at the surface. As long as the total tank volume is being turned over at least 4x/hour the fish should be fine.
They'll certainly spawn, but raising fry is another matter entirely. Zebra danios are egg scatterers, and their fry are tiny buggers, about the size of an eyelash when they hatch. They eat microscopic little critters for the first few weeks, then they should be large enough for microworms. Better to set up a 20 long with plenty of live plants for breeding/raising fry. It will be several months before the fry will grow large enough to join the adults. White cloud minnows are actually easier, they won't eat their own fry.

Thank you again. I put some extra filter media in the back of the aqua tech also to hold more bacteria. Have a good day and I appreciate the advice again

check out leopard danios too, i have zebras. they are fast and generally stay near the top, they have a small bio-load, so if they spread to the rest of the tank you could probobly have more.

Getting real excited about these fish. They are cool

Back
Top Bottom