Zer0's 40 Leagues Under the Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so I did a major trim, and reorg of the layout in preparation for the Downi, and Erectus that is incoming this week.

Blyxa is now diagonaly cutting the tank separating stems from front. A 2nd diagonal will be the AR Mini (which i did lop the top off the big one). In between those 2 diagonals on the left will be Downi, and a mix of monte carlo. While the right will be Monte and Star. Pogo Octo will be leaving the tank for good (i have it growing well in the 36), and replacing with Erectus. Also moved a couple of the ammania gracilis into this tank as well.

40G 10/19/15

Thx TT, I'll get some new pics later this week once I get the new plants in.

Other news, I am going to be offloading all ~30 of my baby GBR's to Coral to raise and breed. I just don't have the place for them anymore, will attempt again when I buy my house.

Been crazy busy w/ work lately, but here is an update of the 40G.

I had to buy a new bubble counter as the old one snapped the nipples off, and my spare was cracked. So I picked up the brass one from Aquatek, very nice Bubble Counter! Very large and easy to count bubbles (unlike some of the plastic ones i had). Seems very soild!

I finally moved 3 GBR babies into the 40G, they have colored up nicely and have paired up!

I also got the downii planted, early melt, but they recovered nicely! Removed some Bylxa, as there were consuming too much real estate!

Here are some new additions to the tank (Baby GBR's ~4months old)
GBR's 4months and finally in the 40G

Full planted shots!
40G Pics

Might have to look into that aquatek bc. What's you first thoughts? Tank is looking killer btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Might have to look into that aquatek bc. What's you first thoughts? Tank is looking killer btw.

I was a little hesitant with it because of the Amazon reviews. But I have gone through 4 bubble counters already (Fluval and Plastic Aquatek), and figured why not. So I looked a little deeper and most of the reviewers seemed like id10t's, (generally take amazon reviews with a grain of salt).

My impressions; its def made of better material (all brass, and thick plastic), i was able to blow through the check valve (most peoples complaints). The biggest thing is the big fat bubbles, on my old counters it was very hard to count seemed like 20bps (drop checker soild yellow "I like mine on the high side", while doing KH/PH testing). But when using this, it has nice fat big bubbles and easy to count. Its only been 5 days, I'll know more later. But it has worked great w/o any adjustments required!

Bubble Counter

Yahhhhh.. I'm going to get me some of those b counts!! I've literally broken 6 aquatek plastic ones.. Brookster make co2 happy plants!! Brookster crush bubble counter:( tank looks sweet man!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yahhhhh.. I'm going to get me some of those b counts!! I've literally broken 6 aquatek plastic ones.. Brookster make co2 happy plants!! Brookster crush bubble counter:( tank looks sweet man!!

Ha! I am a bull in a china shop w/ everything... Here's to hoping brass holds up better than cheap grade abs plastic. :D

Thanks everyone for the comments on the tank!

Ha! I am a bull in a china shop w/ everything... Here's to hoping brass holds up better than cheap grade abs plastic. :D

Thanks everyone for the comments on the tank!

My boss often refers to me as shamoo in a kiddie pool:)

I've snapped the bottom nipple from the Aquatek plastic buh-buh counter the other week. Had a backup just in case (plastic Fluval model). I may look into brass.
I did pick up a brass check valve from Rhinox this past weekend.
Yes, I was wary of the reviews on the brass Aquatek BC, too.

I've snapped the bottom nipple from the Aquatek plastic buh-buh counter the other week. Had a backup just in case (plastic Fluval model). I may look into brass.
I did pick up a brass check valve from Rhinox this past weekend.
Yes, I was wary of the reviews on the brass Aquatek BC, too.

If this continues to work great into next monday, I will def be buying another one for the 36 gallon. Plus w/ Amazon returns are a snap, so I am just out of my time to open it and see it doesn't work.

That's cool man and thanks for the initial review. I might have to invest in one.

Ugh, green hair is starting to come back... After talking w/ TT, I am dropping this light out of the 24/7 mode, and putting in on a timer for 6hr photo period; until i can get this re-occurrence under control (Then may creep it back into 8hr or 24/7mode.

I have a hard time believing its CO2 as I go extremly high on Co2 levels towing the line of gassing the fish. ~40ppm (Kh/Ph Chart and Drop Checker "RO/DI mix w/ Tap 60/40RO 3kh 5gh"). Also have very sufficient flow throughout the tank.

So I re-did my nutrient dosing, I was using numbers that I pulled when I first got into this hobby.. Comparing it to what the calcs are saying... I was WAY OVER dosing Micros, and quite a bit of macros.

Change Up:
6hr photo period (2pm -> 8pm) (co2 on at 1PM off at 7PM)

Original Ferts:
KNO3=1/8 teaspoon (dry)
KH2P04=7G (solution 500ml at 30ml dose)
K2SO4 =63G (solution 500ml at 30ml dose)
CSM+B=58.9G (solution 500ml at 30ml dose) + 1 Cap Flourish Iron Weekly

New Ferts:
KNO3=39G(solution 500ml at 30ml dose)
KH2P04=11G(solution 500ml at 30ml dose)
K2S04=29G(solution 500ml at 30ml dose)
CMS+B=11g(solution 500ml at 30ml dose) + 1 CAP Flourish Iron Weekly

*** This will also apply to my 36G tank ***

my low tech 60G has zero problems - its the tank i hated at first, but grown to love because of how little maintenance is required.

Are you sure you've got the dosing correct? I am using similar amounts in 500 mL but for my 20g I am DAILY dosing 2 mL each of macros and micros (I don't dose nitrate). The 30 mL seems like a lot even for a 40g.
Edit: Are those daily or weekly dosing volumes?

Are you sure you've got the dosing correct? I am using similar amounts in 500 mL but for my 20g I am DAILY dosing 2 mL each of macros and micros (I don't dose nitrate). The 30 mL seems like a lot even for a 40g.
Edit: Are those daily or weekly dosing volumes?

Just going off what the calc is saying. When you put your specs in, it does adjust the the quantity of the fert based on the selected dose size.

EI Calc

Photo of Results

Macro solution
Start with 380 ml of water and add:-
39 g
Potassium nitrate (KNO3)
11 g
Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4)

Then add more water to increase the volume to 0.5ltr

Micro solution
Start with 380 ml of water and add:-
11 g
CSM + B
Then add more water to increase the volume to 0.5ltr

Thanks for posting the calculator and working numbers. One thing I am not sure of is where the 30 mL came from. Is that a value you selected? Is that a daily dose? If so, then 30 mL x 6 doses per week = 180 mL per week. That means the 0.5 L solution will last you a little shy of 3 weeks. Did I calculate that correctly?
I find the PPS Pro calculation simpler: 1 mL per 10 gallons. I do bump up the phosphate from 3g to 9g. The 0.5L solutions last over 8 months on a 20g.

Back
Top Bottom