Ziggy's 40B Rebuild 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I went out to the LFS today and picked up another dozen snails. Time to get this mess under control and build up the CUC.

I'm also reducing the intensity of the lights for the next couple weeks. I think the excess nutrients and high light has allowed for this mess to get a foothold.

Bribro12 stopped by on Saturday to check the system out. It was nice meeting him and his GF in person.

You have to let me know when you decide on a stand. I will help you out.

Will do for sure. Great meeting you as well! It's funny free we are lunch we stopped by cte as well...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ended up going on Sunday rather than Saturday. I picked up another dozen snails.

I wasn't all that impressed with the Jason Fox corals they had in stock. There were a few nice frags there I wouldn't mind having but I can wait.

Yeah me neither. Didn't really have any of the nicer acros.

Update:

Nitrates are holding around 10-15. The additional Macro in the fuge seems to be helping. I still need to get more snails in the tank to clean up the mess that got started when the nitrates were higher.

All in all though the tank seems to be stabilizing.

I might pick up another dozen snails this weekend. I expect to be ready to start adding corals to the system in the next couple of weeks. The corals that are in the tank now are doing very well. They have colored up nicely and seem to be very happy.

I did back the lights off even more earlier this week. Whites are at 65% and Blues are at 75%.

I took a few pics real quick. The lights aren't on yet but these are more for the fuge. There is a LOT of macro in there!!

Looking good man. That macroalgae is growing nicely. Eta on when you'll start adding sps?

Thanks,

I will probably wait for a couple more weeks before putting any more corals in the tank. I want to do a couple more PWCs and let things settle down further. Aside from the bit of algae that has developed in the tank everything looks good. Parameters are pretty close to where they once were.

I figure by the middle of November I will be adding some corals.

So I have decided to clean the rock off with a PWC this weekend. I'm going to drain my normal amount of water out of the tank into a tote and scrub the crap out of the rock and rebuild the aquascape.

The snails, reduced lighting and water changes are not working as quickly as I would like. I figure I can clean a lot of the crud off the rock and rinse it really well in sw before rebuilding the structure. I've done this before in another system with good results.

I'll take some pics during the process.

I have a feeling my skimmer is going to go nuts when I stir all this mess up.

On a good note I'm starting to see coraline developing on some of the rocks.

So I decided to order additional snails today from Reefcleaners.org. I got the quick crew 40 Breeder

42 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

15 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

20 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

20 Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

Probably overkill but we will see. I know not all of them will survive the trip nor will they all survive over the next few months.

That's a lot a snails my friend :). They have a job to do though! Let me know how it goes

So I removed all the rock from the tank today and scrubbed the crap out of it. I also completely changed the layout of my aquascape.

here are some pics of the adventure I took today.

Back
Top Bottom