Zoa eating scooter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bectan01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed over the last few weeks my zoa colonies have not been opening fully. I keep loads of other soft corals and nothing else seems affected. Established tank so no amm or nitrites present, nitrate .05 weekly 20% PWC. I have, however noticed that my scooter blenny spends most of his day climbing all over them, causing them to retract. Can this cause long term effects on the zoas? Has anyone else had a dragonet that does this? They are considered reef safe but I suppose that means they don't eat corals?

My scooter does it and so do my hermits. They always open back up a little while later. I'd double check parameters and do a PWC and see if that helps. You can also try dipping them (if they are on a smaller rock) in a coral dip.

I don't think your scooter is eating the zoa's there's prob food debris on and around the coral after a while your corals should get used to it , it's what they do in the wild as well so I wouldn't be to concerned , take a turkey baster and lightly blow off the coral you will see all the debris come out that is probably why he spends so much time around them he is just cleaning up

Thank you for your replies! Today is PWC day so will give them a squirt of the turkey baster as well. I wasn't sure if he was eating them, or the stuff around them. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom