Zoanthids - Questions/Concearns (Flow requirments?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My question is what type of flow should a zoanthids be under? I have a rio 400 powerhead in my tank and it is close to the zoanthid but not in direct flow. I am wonderign if I should move the pump or zoanthid so that it is in direct flow but at least 8 to 12 inches away???

Also I am concearned. It appears to me that many people on this board are totally unaware of how toxic zoanthid are. They have a really strong toxin called playtoxin that can kill a person if it gets into their blood. It can be ingestied or go through a cut- but jsut a smal lamount can kill. I have read abotu people and animals gettig nsick and dieing from them. One guys dog either ate oen or brushed their nose agist it when the guy was puttign them in his tank and the dog died hours later. People need to be made more aware of the precautions that should be taken with these.

By the way. If you have a zoanthid in yoru tank I realize you need to wear gloves when handelign it. But do you need gloves if you are working on a different part of the tank??? Does the toxin flow in the water column and can it get int thru a cut even if yo uare not touching the zoanthids???

Not direct flow from your powerhead, but under medium flow conditions. Put them in a spot lower down in your aquarium that gets indirect flow and not strong lighting.

Yep, zoanthids can be dangerous. That is always why you should wear gloves when handling them. They release a very powerful palythoa toxin. I've heard of it hospitalizing humans, killing animals. Be smart about it though, and your fine. Just beause you have zoos doesn't mean you are going to get ill. It's my understanding that they need to be under a bit of stress in order to release the toxin.

You shouldn't be having your hands in your tank if they are full of cuts anyways, because there are other dangers besides palythoa toxins. If you are working in another part of your tank, no, I don't see why you need protection IF your hands are in good shape.

A good heads up though, for people who don't know.

I have actually touched my several times un gloved and knew but I just make sure I am not cut and also wash my hands before I touch my eyes, nose, or mouth :)

Jeff

awsome.

I only have a 10 gallogn tank do not much room to move powerheads and corals. I will leave it where it is for now to see what happens.

It is not in direct flow but close.

Back
Top Bottom