Zoos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Picked up a small zoo frag (I call it a frag because it's such a small piece)at LFS. It's doing great.

My only question is...at the LFS the Zoos stalks were streched out, like maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

In my tank they are only about 1/4 inch. The heads are fully out and look great. I was just curious why the stalks would be so much shorter.

your light is probably stronger than the light at the LFS, thus they don't need to "stretch" as far to get closer to the light. I've noticed this in a few of my zoos too. No worries, long as the polyps are opening up fine, they are probably better off in your tank it would seem. No need to stretch. :)

A couple other things if you please:

1. I see my crabs and shrimp constantly crawl over the zoos or sit right on top of them...and they retract. It almost looks like the crabs and shrimp are doing it on purpose. Is this bad for the zoos?

2. I notice a couple of new zoos sprouting. They are located on the underside of the edge of the rock. I dont believe they are going to get very much light in that spot. Should I leave them...or can I somehow transplant them to a different spot?

The crabs/shrimp are most likely just picking the new zoas clean. They did the same to mine when I first put them in the tank. They rarely visit them anymore. Even when they do, the zoas just close up and nothing bad seems to happen.

The new sprouts will most likely stretch their necks enough as they grow to reach the light. I'd just leave them. Just like flowers, they'll find the light!

Back
Top Bottom