55 gallon amazon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuckerp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got my 55g up and running again. Currently I have 2 firemouths and 3 convicts but as soon as they pair up I'm taking one back to the lfs. Im looking to add one or two more fish to complete the tank and I'm not sure what to get. I enjoy the personality of oscars but would be interested in something different. I was thinking about an electric blue jack Dempsey. Or if anyone knows of a freshwater puffer that would work well. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

I wouldn't add any more cichlids with that stocking. Both firemouths and convicts can be nasty buggers, especially when spawning and guarding fry.

I'd suggest going with either a dither fish, like giant danios or catfish like pictus.

If the giant danios are large enough, the cichlids shouldn't mess with them. Plus they are pretty darn fast. They'd also add some movement to the tank as will the pictus cats.

Tuckerp some folks can correct me but don't think that any freshwater puffer can be in any tank. From what I know they are notorious fin nippers and will even challenge the big guys. I believe they can only be in a single species tank.

What's the minimum tank size for a jack Dempsey?

I have a 6" jack in a 30 gal tank and he's happy and very well

Mogurako said:
~__~

A single JD needs a minimum of 55-75 gallons.

Mines perfectly fine and healthy, if it gets too big I will move it.

I wouldn't add anymore cichlids, or catfish as they are all pretty much bottom lv fish. Giant danios make great target fish. (you will need "target" not "dither". To help spread aggression).

A JD needs a minimum 55g to itself.

Back
Top Bottom