Adding an Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well l am really lucky in one aspect. My wife seems to be really enjoyin the hobby also. And with the girls growin up and making their own way in life, its like a getting a raise (which means more money for the hobby) yeah !!!!

Freakgecko91 said:
Unfortunately, no. You will end up with a blood bath. Oscars are very intelligent, emotional, and territorial south american cichlids (not african lol). They get to around 14" and whatever fits in their mouth is food. They make look small and cute at the store, but they grow fast and are very messy fish. If you got rid of basically your entire stock, then yes, you could do a pair, but with all those in there, not a chance.

You had me until "intelligent". Mine is still recovering from his most recent injury from attacking the lids and trying to swim through the glass.

He certainly is messy and emotional though.

5x5 said:
You had me until "intelligent". Mine is still recovering from his most recent injury from attacking the lids and trying to swim through the glass.

He certainly is messy and emotional though.

Haha......sorry for laughing at your problem. It could be "intelligent"? He grasp that you were on the other side of the glass, and wanted to be on that side with you! I had a black ruby that wanted out while on a 2 day trip last week. Got home and couldn't account for him while feeding them. Found him later stuck to the carpet beside the tank where he had jumped out the top back by the filter.

Fedex3d said:
Haha......sorry for laughing at your problem. It could be "intelligent"? He grasp that you were on the other side of the glass, and wanted to be on that side with you! I had a black ruby that wanted out while on a 2 day trip last week. Got home and couldn't account for him while feeding them. Found him later stuck to the carpet beside the tank where he had jumped out the top back by the filter.

Yeah, I laugh at him too. He's always got scars, but at least they heal faster than usual.

They really a cool fish to have. I recommend eventually getting one to experience them firsthand, but they at very limiting when it comes to tank mates. I'd dump mine in a second if I hadn't gotten him when he was the size of a quarter.

As large cichlids go Oscars are pretty laid back. The problem with them is they will try and eat any fish that can fit in their mouths, They can also be very dirty and get very large. I wish someone would invent a 3 inch Oscar.

5x5 said:
Yeah, I laugh at him too. He's always got scars, but at least they heal faster than usual.

They really a cool fish to have. I recommend eventually getting one to experience them firsthand, but they at very limiting when it comes to tank mates. I'd dump mine in a second if I hadn't gotten him when he was the size of a quarter.

Yea we are going to have to start a tank just for cichlids. I would eventually like to have a variety of them.

And Julielover, the way they are always cross breeding and changing species somebody is liable to produce one someday lol

HUKIT said:
AquaBid.com - Item # fwcichlids1347843139 - 8 unsexed Red Spot Gold Severums - Ends: Sun Sep 16 2012 - 07:52:19 PM CDT

I've bought some Amatitlania honduran sp. from him for my breeding program and his fish are very healthy, a trusted hobbyist.

I missed out on the bid. I was acclimating my balas from a smaller tank in a 5g bucket when the biggest one (4") decided he wanted out! He was out maybe 4 or 5 minutes before I found him & spent the rest of the day with him. He's doing great now, but I lost out on the bidding. The guy said he would have some more in a couple of weeks. So hopefully l will be the proud owner of them then.

Back
Top Bottom