Adding an Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fedex3d

Aquarium Advice Activist
right now I have a 125 gallon tank with 3 blue gouramis, 3 golden gouramis, 3 dwarf gouramis, 2 convicts, & 4 bala sharks. My wife really liked the Oscars at the lfs. Being an African cichlid, can I house 1 or 2 with what I have in the tank now??

Unfortunately, no. You will end up with a blood bath. Oscars are very intelligent, emotional, and territorial south american cichlids (not african lol). They get to around 14" and whatever fits in their mouth is food. They make look small and cute at the store, but they grow fast and are very messy fish. If you got rid of basically your entire stock, then yes, you could do a pair, but with all those in there, not a chance.

Thanks for the info! I did not think I could add them just wanted to make sure. Could be a good excuse to start another tank haha Thanks for the correction, for some reason l thought they were African ( I guess because they are aggressive) Am l going to have problems down the road with the convicts in there ?? The convicts are about 2 1/2 inches right now, and everything else but the dwarfs are about 4 inches.

Last edited:
Fedex3d said:
Thanks for the info! I did not think I could add them just wanted to make sure. Could be a good excuse to start another tank haha

Always a good excuse. 'honey, do we really need the couch?' lol

Tetra1990 said:
Always a good excuse. 'honey, do we really need the couch?' lol

are the convicts going to be a problem down the road? I edited my previous post.

In a 125, probably not. However, a breeding pair of convicts are extremely territorial and aggressive. It depends on the sex of both individuals (which i am not good at determining on convicts lol).

As for the aggressive thing, not all africans are aggressive. There are many that aren't aggressive at all ;) On there other hand, there are new worlds (south/central/north american) that will kill anything that enters their tank, like red festae (ex-cichlasoma festae), certain nandopsis species, grammodes, salvini, jaguar, etc. However, there are also many peaceful new worlds as well ;) Temperment is variable no matter what continent you're looking at lol

Freakgecko91 said:
In a 125, probably not. However, a breeding pair of convicts are extremely territorial and aggressive. It depends on the sex of both individuals (which i am not good at determining on convicts lol).

As for the aggressive thing, not all africans are aggressive. There are many that aren't aggressive at all ;) On there other hand, there are new worlds (south/central/north american) that will kill anything that enters their tank, like red festae (ex-cichlasoma festae), certain nandopsis species, grammodes, salvini, jaguar, etc. However, there are also many peaceful new worlds as well ;) Temperment is variable no matter what continent you're looking at lol

Just like people !!!! lol I really would like to add some color to the tank. Any suggestions along the lines of yellows and reds?? Was seriously looking into adding golden and red spotted severums. But the red spotted severums seem very hard to come by.

Just like people !!!! lol I really would like to add some color to the tank. Any suggestions along the lines of yellows and reds?? Was seriously looking into adding golden and red spotted severums. But the red spotted severums seem very hard to come by.

AquaBid.com - Item # fwcichlids1347843139 - 8 unsexed Red Spot Gold Severums - Ends: Sun Sep 16 2012 - 07:52:19 PM CDT

I've bought some Amatitlania honduran sp. from him for my breeding program and his fish are very healthy, a trusted hobbyist.

Last edited:
*Uaru amphiacanthoides
*Archocentros multispinosa (Rainbow)
*Heros sp. "Rotkeil" (Rotkeil severum)
*Cleithocara maronii (Keyhole; I own 2)
*Biodotema cupido (cupid)
*Guianacara geayi (bandit; I own 2)
*Aequidens pulcher (Blue acara)
*Laetacara curviceps (Dwarf flag)
*Thorichthys passiones
Thorichthys ellioti
*Cryptoheros sajica (T bar)
Aequidens diadema
*Hypselecara coryphaenoides (chocolate)
Crenicichla regani (gentle pike)
Hypsophrys nicaraguensis (nicaraguan)
*Cryptoheros nanuluteus
Theraps wesseli

There's a bunch of generally peaceful species to get ya started and give ya something to do ;) Google is your best friend lol That's how I've come across more than half of the species listed above

Freakgecko91 said:
Uaru amphiacanthoides
Archocentros multispinosa (Rainbow)
Heros sp. "Rotkeil" (Rotkeil severum)
Cleithocara maronii (Keyhole)
Biodotema cupido (cupid)
Guianacara geayi (bandit)
Aequidens pulcher (Blue acara)
Laetacara curviceps (Dwarf flag)
Thorichthys passiones
Thorichthys ellioti
Cryptoheros sajica (T bar)
Aequidens diadema
Hypselecara coryphaenoides (chocolate)
Crenicichla regani (gentle pike)
Hypsophrys nicaraguensis (nicaraguan)
Cryptoheros nanuluteus
Theraps wesseli

There's a bunch of generally peaceful species to get ya started and give ya something to do ;) Google is your best friend lol That's how I've come across more than half of the species listed above

Yes l like the list !! Google is definitely man's best friend lol just now getting back into this since the kids are grown but when I did this 20 + years ago there was no internet or aquarium advice :( now I'm showing my age.....

It's been much easier for hobbyists in my generation (I turn 21 soon) due to the wealth of information available to us right at our fingertips. Members on here like HUKIT, 5x5, Convict, Severum Mama, JetaJockey, etc have really helped me learn new and amazing species, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the hobby itself. I spend hours starting with one species, and finding a new species from reading about that one, and jumping around like that. I've learned several genus and continue to discover and memorize new ones everyday!

Another AMAZING one for your list is krobia xinguensis. Aquabid has them up for sale (but it's an 8 pack). They are an acara like fish, with orange fringe on their scales on their side that just pops like no other cichlid i've ever seen! I love them! Hoplarchus psittacus is another awesome one, but hard to find and expensive, I've seen 2 for sale for $100 and $150 lol

Also, many of these species aren't going to be that common and you may have to do some searching to find them, or ordering online. I'll go back and edit my list and put stars by the species I've seen at LFS personally :)

Freakgecko91 said:
It's been much easier for hobbyists in my generation (I turn 21 soon) due to the wealth of information available to us right at our fingertips. Members on here like HUKIT, 5x5, Convict, Severum Mama, JetaJockey, etc have really helped me learn new and amazing species, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the hobby itself. I spend hours starting with one species, and finding a new species from reading about that one, and jumping around like that. I've learned several genus and continue to discover and memorize new ones everyday!

Another AMAZING one for your list is krobia xinguensis. Aquabid has them up for sale (but it's an 8 pack). They are an acara like fish, with orange fringe on their scales on their side that just pops like no other cichlid i've ever seen! I love them! Hoplarchus psittacus is another awesome one, but hard to find and expensive, I've seen 2 for sale for $100 and $150 lol

Also, many of these species aren't going to be that common and you may have to do some searching to find them, or ordering online. I'll go back and edit my list and put stars by the species I've seen at LFS personally :)

That would be great because l am really fascinated with the more unusual breeds & species

I feel like I'm trying to advertise this, but theres a South/central american cichlid group on here, go to my profile and there will be a picture of a red and yellow striped cichlid under the groups section, its HUKIT's red festae (he started the group) :) it's a nice little group and could really help with those new world based questions that may spring up for ya :)

Freakgecko91 said:
I feel like I'm trying to advertise this, but theres a South/central american cichlid group on here, go to my profile and there will be a picture of a red and yellow striped cichlid under the groups section, its HUKIT's red festae (he started the group) :) it's a nice little group and could really help with those new world based questions that may spring up for ya :)

Don't feel bad about advertising it !! I think it is great there is a group to turn to for questions and advice. Im really glad I found this site and forum. Having just now jumped into this with both feet after some 20 + years, things have really changed. So far everyone has been helpful, and I hope I can grow in experience and knowledge to where I can be an acid on AA as well !!!!

The second best thing you can do is ask, the single best thing you can do is listen :) You see all too often people asking for advice, then completely rejecting the advice they are given because its something they didn't want to hear, I truly appreciate you're enthusiasm and it honestly makes me happier than anything lol Not sure why, but I love sharing the amazingness that are cichlids :)

Freakgecko91 said:
The second best thing you can do is ask, the single best thing you can do is listen :) You see all too often people asking for advice, then completely rejecting the advice they are given because its something they didn't want to hear, I truly appreciate you're enthusiasm and it honestly makes me happier than anything lol Not sure why, but I love sharing the amazingness that are cichlids :)

I am learning that they have an amazing variety also. I have become fascinated with fish in general. They make great pets. They all have a personality of their own, and they are really quiet lol they don't chew up to anything in the yard and they don't scratch at the glass when they want out !!! When they are hungry, they don't whine ot meow all over the house lol

So true! And just wait till you really submerse yourself in them, I find a new species everyday that I hadn't heard about before!

Freakgecko91 said:
So true! And just wait till you really submerse yourself in them, I find a new species everyday that I hadn't heard about before!

The only problem with that is it adds to my wish list lol In 4 months I've gone from nothing to 3 tanks. A 20g, 29g, & a 125g and see more in the future!

It's an addiction worse than any drug if ya ask me!

Btw, there's a new world species that will fit in all three of your tanks ;) several actually haha look into dwarves:

Genuses include:
Nannacara
Dicrossus
Apistogramma
Laetacara
pelvicachromis (actually a riverine west african genus)

Back
Top Bottom