African Cichlid Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Southpaw said:
And is the consensus ACs are of better quality than emperors for HOBs?

I never use the cartridge that are sold pre made for the hob filters. I buy sponges,filter floss, bio rings,bio balls thinks like that to stuff it full. Imo the pre made ones are cheaply made and don't last long from being rinsed so much.

If you look up the prices of the AC110 you'll be better off buying rena canister filters when they are on sale. They will run you about the same. If that's the only reason your wanting to go with canisters

Southpaw said:
And is the consensus ACs are of better quality than emperors for HOBs?

Aqua clears are the only HOB IMO, they are very customizable and offer great flow. They have the small compartment that pretty much loads like a canister.

Emperors IMO are a fad that should have died out years ago, the bio wheels just don't do it for me.

Well I am attempting to do this setup this weekend, and as of now the AC's are on sale in my area, so that has me leaning that way. I am just not knowledgable in customizing the media within filters. Newbie here.

Aqua clears are the only HOB IMO,

Emperors IMO are a fad that should have died out years ago, the bio wheels just don't do it for me.

A hybrid of the two would be ideal. Since as the water passes over the filter media it is exposed to air, allowing the free exchange of gasses oxygen and carbon dioxide, this rapid oxidation of ammonia and nitrite which makes these filters extremely efficient and one of the best in terms of biological filtration. This also allows the dissolved oxygen levels in the tank to remain at higher levels.

Southpaw said:
Well I am attempting to do this setup this weekend, and as of now the AC's are on sale in my area, so that has me leaning that way. I am just not knowledgable in customizing the media within filters. Newbie here.

South it's super easy ill send you some pictures of mine when I get home from work.

HUKIT said:
A hybrid of the two would be ideal. Since as the water passes over the filter media it is exposed to air, allowing the free exchange of gasses oxygen and carbon dioxide, this rapid oxidation of ammonia and nitrite which makes these filters extremely efficient and one of the best in terms of biological filtration. This also allows the dissolved oxygen levels in the tank to remain at higher levels.

I'm not sure of they have improved their design at all over the years but the one time I'm tried it I was far from impressed. I agree though if AC put bio-wheels on their filters that's all I'd use.

If my memory serves, the biowheel was designed in part by dr Tim via marineland, the same person who helped develop biospira /safestart and dr Tim's one and only. So there's some good science behind it, but personally I don't have much experience comparing HOBs so I can't say how they stack up against aquaclears in a real data comparison. I do know that they make a biowheel attachment for the magnum canister but haven't used it. The idea makes sense but not sure how important it is in a highly oxygenated tank with a ton of turnover.

Last edited:
I would get a penguin biowheel 350 they are rated up to 70 gallons I have them they work great. If u want to customize your cartridge what I do is take the initial cartridge they give you and cut/rip off all the filter media off it and clean out the charcoal so your left with just the plastic skeleton of the cartridge. Then you can go buy your own filter media and just rubber band it on to the plastic skeleton of the old filter you just have to cut it to size and you can get huge sheets of it for like $3. You don't have to change it often just swish it around in a bucket of tank water once a week

Jesselav1233 said:
Oh and the model I mentioned I think I saw a LFS near me selling them for $37

That wouldn't be enough filtration for what he's looking to stock.

Southpaw said:

It's going to come with the majority of what you need, loving the polyfill idea that mogurako mentioned!

Last edited:

What size would you recommend? Or do you believe I should split it amongst two of them? To achieve an even filtration and flow to both ends of the tanks?

And Thanks Moguarko! That would be a big help.

Aqua clears are the only HOB IMO, they are very customizable and offer great flow. They have the small compartment that pretty much loads like a canister.

Fad? LOL. HUKIT already pointed out why Emperors/Penguins are great for biological filtration. The science behind them is as solid as anything on the market. The filter baskets that come with Emperors make it easy to customize filter media. It does irritate me that the baskets aren't included with any of the Penguin models and hafta be purchased separately.

I'm not gonna insult a filter brand that I don't like or use just to make my point. I don't like Aquaclears. My opinion. Doesn't mean they aren't good or effective filters because I don't like 'em... any brand on the market has it's pros and cons. It merely means I like and prefer something else. Hafta say, a hybrid would be nice.

As far as wet/dry filters and prefilters...agreed, but that comes back to proper operation and proper maintenance. Any filter can be a problem if not operated and maintained correctly; the type of filter does not matter: HOB, canister or wet/dry. The end result of poor maintenance will be poor water quality.

Started my first post in this thread with an LOL, for this exact reason: anytime filters come up, ya can expect a heated discussion as soon as there is a dissenting opinion, based on each individual's experiences and personal preferences. Seen it in f2f discussions and seen it on forum threads. Exactly what happenned. LOL. ;)

WYite

I only reason I say "fad" Wyite is because about 10-12 years ago when the whole Mbuna and peacock craze hit everyone one was suggesting those filters and at the time I didn't feel they lived up to the hype.

Like I was saying in response to HUKIT I'm sure things with them have changed some, but I'll stick with what works for me until AC makes a filter with a wheel or Fluval FX5 comes with a bio wheel return like the Magnums use to.

Well, 12 years ago I didn't have a computer and there aren't that many aquarists in Cheyenne, Wyoming, so I missed out on that. And I started my African craziness back in the late 80's in college. When they first came out I wasn't too sure 'bout the biowheels either, but after a coupla years workin' around a wastewater treatment plant and really comin' to understand some of the finer points of water chemistry and different metabolic processes, decided to give 'em a try. Been usin' 'em ever since.

I didn't think I was gonna change yer mind. Think we all tend to stick with what works for us. I just always get a chuckle outta how loyal aquarists can be to what works for them and how stubborn they can be 'bout they're way bein' the right way. And I ain't exempt from that line of thinkin'. :)

WYite

AndrewsPistol said:

I disagree with this I had one on my cichlid tank it worked fine my water was always perfect. If you want affordable go for the model I mentioned you won't regret it. I think theses filters are the best!

I disagree with this I had one on my cichlid tank it worked fine my water was always perfect. If you want affordable go for the model I mentioned you won't regret it. I think theses filters are the best!

Penguin 350B is only rated at 350 GPH, which is fine for a 30-40 gallon tank but not for a highly stocked 55 with Mbuna. The Aquaclear 110 is rated at 500 GPH and is only $70 with free shipping from amazon. Easy enough to use an AC 110 to start with and add a 2nd later when funds permit.

The penguin 350 is rated for up to 70 gallon tanks man I don't see why you feel you u think need that many gallons per hour moving I would feel like I was just wasting money at that point.

I ran it on a 55gal mbuna tank (grant it I broke it down before they were full grown) but my water was always perfect. It's not a bad thing at all to over filtrate like that but I don't feel its necessary. Original poster it's up to you man but I think it would be fine just monitor your water and if you see it's not keeping up with your ammonia or nitrites conversion or something then you could upgrade later or something but it will be way cheaper this way.

Jesselav1233 said:
The penguin 350 is rated for up to 70 gallon tanks man I don't see why you feel you u think need that many gallons per hour moving I would feel like I was just wasting money at that point.

350 GPH more than likely less once that cartridge clogs up and it slows down, is barely over half the volume of the tank turned over per hour. IMO and in the opinion of many many other cichlid keepers in an cichlid tank there's no such thing as over filtration, 8-10x per hour is the acceptable normal flow rate. As you admitted yours broke down before they were adults and before you had their full bio-load in the tank, so really you just discredited your whole " My water was perfect" argument, whatever that statement means.

All my recommendations unless someone asks for questions about fry tanks will always be based off adult needs/requirements.

Jesselav1233 said:
I ran it on a 55gal mbuna tank (grant it I broke it down before they were full grown) but my water was always perfect. It's not a bad thing at all to over filtrate like that but I don't feel its necessary. Original poster it's up to you man but I think it would be fine just monitor your water and if you see it's not keeping up with your ammonia or nitrites conversion or something then you could upgrade later or something but it will be way cheaper this way.

No matter how much flow/ how large of a filter you have you should still always monitor your water parameters. A filter is not a magical device that gets rid of the biological waste it aids in breaking it down by providing surface area for the bacteria to grow and oxygenates the water.

It maybe cheaper to start with but you also have to remember you get what you pay for. The only cost I have to run my ACs and Canisters is replacing the poly fill and I have had the same $4 bag from Walmart for about 2 years.

Mogurako said:
350 GPH more than likely less once that cartridge clogs up and it slows down, is barely over half the volume of the tank turned over per hour. IMO and in the opinion of many many other cichlid keepers in an cichlid tank there's no such thing as over filtration, 8-10x per hour is the acceptable normal flow rate. As you admitted yours broke down before they were adults and before you had their full bio-load in the tank, so really you just discredited your whole " My water was perfect" argument, whatever that statement means.

All my recommendations unless someone asks for questions about fry tanks will always be based off adult needs/requirements.

No matter how much flow/ how large of a filter you have you should still always monitor your water parameters. A filter is not a magical device that gets rid of the biological waste it aids in breaking it down by providing surface area for the bacteria to grow and oxygenates the water.

It maybe cheaper to start with but you also have to remember you get what you pay for. The only cost I have to run my ACs and Canisters is replacing the poly fill and I have had the same $4 bag from Walmart for about 2 years.

Really?? A bag of poly for me doesn't last long at all before it cloged up maybe a few months. But its still cheaper then cartridges. Now that I think about it I think I've bought 3 bags this year. Hmmm.. maybe I should cut back on food or its because of the sloppy turtle lol

Back
Top Bottom