Apisto advice for a 40g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I am slowly stocking my 40g breeder planted tank. The tank is seen here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f98/planted-40-breeder-log-56k-no-no-100183.html.

Right now, I only have 7 Rummynose tetras and 11 Corydoras hastatus in the tank. I plan to add more Rummies and maybe another school of fish (Embers).

I want to add atleast 1 pair of Apistos to the tank. I am new to keeping Apistos because I cannot find them locally. :( But I will be ordering a pair online soon.

I was wondering if I'd be ok adding more than one pair of Apistos or having a pair of Apistos and a pair of Blue Rams in the tank. Is the tank big enough and planted enough to have enough territory for both?

Would you suggest going with 2 pairs of Apistos or with the Apistos/Ram combo? Also, would it be ok to mix Apisto species or should I get 2 pairs of the same species? I am interested in getting A. cacautuoides for sure.

Thanks in advance! I don't want them to murder each other, so I wanted to check here first before ordering. :rolleyes:

Ohh, FYI, whatever I get, I'll be adding to the tank at the same time, since I will most likely be ordering them from the same place.

Personally I would go with the pairs of apistos. I have had no trouble with keeping rams and apistos together either though. The plants should provide territories enough to keep everyone happy. I find apistos easier to keep than GBR's. Unless you get good quality GBR's they can be sensitive to keep.

Thanks, Zags. :)

Are there any Apisto species that you'd recommend? The water is really soft from the Aquasoil substrate and the pH is low because of that and CO2 injection. I know I definitely want a pair of cacautuoides. Should I get 2 pairs of those or would it be ok to mix different species?

I've mixed species with success. I'd suggest looking at what you like and then read up on them. I haven't heard of anyone having aggression issues, even when breeding as long as there are places for territories. Which you will most definately have.

You may want to go with trios of apistos as they are harem spawners. Cacatuoides are a good choice as they are easier to breed, if that is what you are looking to do. There are at least 10 variations of the cacatuides species including triple reds, double reds, red-flash, redtail, redtail-super, blue, gold-orange, Peru...you get the point. Some of these are more common than others so it depends on what you like and on what you can get as to what you go with, but any of those would be fine in a 40 gallon planted. You could most likely get away with 2 trios of apistos AND a pair of GBR's. I kept 9 GBR's in my 55 with no problems whatsoever. Sure, there was the occasional territory dispute during breeding time, but that happens and only resulted in minor torn fins at worst.

Currently I have about 10 apistos in a 29 gallon tank. I believe that I have 6 cacatuoides triple reds (mostly males) and 4 trifasciata (believe I have 2 males and 2 females but the females are really small and are still growing). I have lots of "caves" made out of ceramic flower pots that I drilled holes into and they love them. I'm looking to get rid of all of these apistos soon as I have other plans for the tank. I am planning on getting an entire spawn (around 100 +/- 25) of GBR's around 3/4-1" long to raise and I will need all the room that I have. Don't worry, they will all be going into my empty 55 gallon tank and I will take out proven pairs that I want and put them in my 29's.

As far as pH goes, it really doesn't matter according to many people, including a local fish store owner that was very successful in breeding discus, of all things, in a high pH (8.0+). He said that pH CAN have an effect on determining the sex of the fry though, similar to temperature determining the sex of baby alligators still in the egg.

What I WOULD make sure of though is that you have adequate hiding places for the apistos. Get some pots similar to what I have and cut holes in them. If you have 6 apistos, I'd go with 4-5 caves. And for what it's worth, there seems to be less aggression between two different species of apistos than within the same species, at least that is what I have noticed in my tank.

P.S. If you want my apistos (all ten or however many) let me know by sending me a PM and we'll work something out. I'll send you pics when I can but I am busy with school until tomorrow night when Spring Break starts. : ) I can even send you some clay pots as I won't have a whole lot of use for them. I can ship out on Monday since I will be on break!!!

If you plan on breeding I think the corys will be an issue. I had to remove all bottom feeders to get mine to breed successfully. For some reason I couldn't get mine to breed either in lower ph that I had from co2 injection. I stopped co2 and had loads of algae but they breed. But give it a shot with the low pH, I've heard it isn't that important with these fish (it could be a number of other factors other then pH).

edit: Nice planted tanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm not going to be totally hurt if they don't breed. I have had my Apistos in the tank for a few weeks now. I know I have a male and female macmasteri, but not sure about the trifasciata, so I may not have 2 pairs.

I don't plan on cutting the co2 off....I'd have serious algae issues and the plants wouldn't look as nice...so they unfortunately are my priority. :D The aquasoil lowers the pH anyways, so might as well leave the co2.

My Cories (Corydoras hastatus dwarves) stay in the mid area of the tank mostly. They hang out in the plants (like monkeys in trees) and swim mid-water...so they aren't really bottom feeders all the time.

I'm not going to try to breed them, but if they do, I'll be happy. :D

Thanks again for the advice!

Pygmy species of Corydoras do perfectly fine around fry and eggs. I have small groups of C. Habrosus in most of my breeding tanks and have never had any attack and eat fry or raid nests for eggs. They are just too small to do any of this and they probably realize it.

Awesome, Gillie! I have heard that, but good to know you have found that to be true by experience.

The biggest of my Cories is right at an inch. I have many that are around 3/4", so they are tiny. And their mouths are very small. They'd rather play in the plants and spend very little time on the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom