Aquascape for shellies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys! I'd like to here some critiques on my current aquascape for my 10g.
The final stock for this tank is going to be a trio of Lmap brevis or multis, 6~ danios, and debating on one BNP...

Here's what it looks like currently: I like this but for my final scape I'd like to change it up..
k4upsk.jpg

This is what I'm thinking about doing:
The rocks highlighted in green will be moved to the left side of the tank. I'm thinking it will free up some more open swimming space and also allow me to add some more shells onto the bottom of the tank. Then the blue area will be filled with shells that start out narrow in the back and spread out as they come towards the front of the tank.
2uhxs3n.jpg

What do you guys have to say?

Hey Guys! I'd like to here some critiques on my current aquascape for my 10g.

The final stock for this tank is going to be a trio of Lmap brevis or multis, 6~ danios, and debating on one BNP...

Here's what it looks like currently: I like this but for my final scape I'd like to change it up..

k4upsk.jpg

This is what I'm thinking about doing:

The rocks highlighted in green will be moved to the left side of the tank. I'm thinking it will free up some more open swimming space and also allow me to add some more shells onto the bottom of the tank. Then the blue area will be filled with shells that start out narrow in the back and spread out as they come towards the front of the tank.

2uhxs3n.jpg

What do you guys have to say?

I don't know as much as some on here about this but I can assure you that 93.79% of the responses will be "needs more shells" or "too small of tank."
And they're right.
I'd ditch most of the slate and all of the wood(?) and just cover that sumbugger in shells. You may also be advised to avoid the danios because it's such a small tank. I know that most all Shellie's refuse other tank mates even in massive tanks with even bigger amounts of shells. They're most all kept in species only tanks.
If there's any wrong info, Cichlid guys feel free to correct it!

If I was to do Neolamprologus multifasciatus in a 10 I would only do 2 or 3 and remove most if not all the rocks and wood. Then load up the sand with at least 3 shells per fish maybe even more since its only a 10. As far as tank mates the tank is too small and the Shellie's will most likely kill them.

I've had previous personal experience with an exact similar setup but this was a year or so ago... Yes, both of you do happen to make valid points about aggression.

The rock is not slate but that doesn't matter, and if you were to read my OP it does state my plans to add shells to the tank.

I've had previous personal experience with an exact similar setup but this was a year or so ago... Yes, both of you do happen to make valid points about aggression.

The rock is not slate but that doesn't matter, and if you were to read my OP it does state my plans to add shells to the tank.

Neither of us denied the fact you were putting shells in were simply ADVISING you to put more and skip some unwise decisions.

Don't put any other fish then the species of Shellies your getting. They will kill any other fish. And I'd say remove everything but the shells, and I would recommend 4+ shells per fish, as they can get very aggressive over shells

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If I was to do Neolamprologus multifasciatus in a 10 I would only do 2 or 3 and remove most if not all the rocks and wood. Then load up the sand with at least 3 shells per fish maybe even more since its only a 10. As far as tank mates the tank is too small and the Shellie's will most likely kill them.

This! Listen to mike, he knows what he is talking about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 10 gallon Shellie tank, and shells are most of the causes for aggression with these fish. I have two brevis in mine and I had to give them eight shells each just to get them to stop fighting lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I only use rock in my shellie tanks as breaks in territory. With that said, I provide 5-6 shells per fish. So my advice, like said, is remove all the stone and wood, and up the number of shells

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom