Breeding Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wanting to remove my angel pair out of my main tank because they're ready to breed and are starting to get extremely aggressive to everyone else. My question is would a 10 gallon tank be too small to pull this off in if that's the only two fish living in it?? I simply don't have the room right now for a larger tank and can't seem to find a 20 gallon locally.

I'm wanting to remove my angel pair out of my main tank because they're ready to breed and are starting to get extremely aggressive to everyone else. My question is would a 10 gallon tank be too small to pull this off in if that's the only two fish living in it?? I simply don't have the room right now for a larger tank and can't seem to find a 20 gallon locally.

It depends on the size of the Angels. If these are new breeders and on the smaller side then (despite what other members say :banghead:) a standard 10 gal (20"L x 10"W by 12"H) can be used. I've used this as my main tank size for breeding many pairs of Angels. If these are larger fish or long veiltailed fish, you may want to put them into a 15 High or 20 High if you are short on space. I would suggest that if you are going to breed them and letting the parents raise the fry, do it in a bare tank with just a sponge filter so that the fish have the most amount of water space. Just put in a heater and a piece of slate for the fish to spawn on.
If you need any assistance with breeding these fish, feel free to PM me for instructions. I am well versed in the breeding, care and raising of Angelfish having raised over 1 million Angel Fry over the years ;)

Good luck with your pair (y)

Thanks for the advice. I watched them lock lips and semi twirl. Lol I was amazed!! This one of them

image-4239109249.jpg

I'm gonna try a 10 gallon and see what kind of results I get. A regular filter won't be sufficient?

Thanks for the advice. I watched them lock lips and semi twirl. Lol I was amazed!! This one of them

View attachment 114633

I'm gonna try a 10 gallon and see what kind of results I get. A regular filter won't be sufficient?

If I would were to bet, I'd say, based on what I use as my criteria ;), that that is your female. Notice the swollen belly and anal fin starting further away from her anus?
As for the filter, outside HOB filters tend to move too much water and can filter out the sperm when they are spawning. A sponge filter removes NOTHING and only converts (through the bacteria bed held within the sponge) ammonia and nitrites. I've found this to be the most productive way of producing a higher percentage of hatchings. Considering that you are dealing with a smaller tank, you want to be careful with water movement during spawning. I've also been told (years ago) that the wild Angels usually bred in very calm waters or after the rains had subsided and the water flow had slowed to almost nothing.

Also, should you leave the fry in with the parents or leave the eggs to hatch on their own, a HOB filter will most definitely suck up the fry so it has a second negative going for it :nono: They will also suck out the food for the fry. Strike 3 for me :brows:

In my eyes, there are only pluses with using a sponge filter when breeding fish and no negatives. They were the only filters I used in all my hatcheries. You can take that for what it's worth ;)

Again, Good luck (y)

Back
Top Bottom