Cichlid tank gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdaddy2

Aquarium Advice Regular
How much gravel will I need for my new 55 gal cichlid tank?

I would put in about 50-60 pounds worth. Depending on the size of the gravel, if it's large gravel you can put less, if it's small you'll need more than average

Smallest possible or even better use sand. Mbuna Cichlids dig pitts naturally as places of comfort and places to breed. Large gravel wont be easily moved and mbuna cichlids that cant dig and move the substrate around arnt happy mbuna.

Thanks. Gonna use some small black gravel and mix it with some blue. The way it comes ill have about 90 pounds. Sand would be nice but I'm new to this and it seems like the sand would be more difficult.

I could get 70 but I feel like that wouldn't be enough

70 will be plenty

In my 120 gallon 60 x 18 I put in about 100 pounds of gravel and it was plenty.
However in my 125 gallon 72 x18 I put in 130 pounds of sand and barely had enough.

Should have everything next week. Hopefully setting up next weekend. Can't wait to see it.

Sand is actually easier in the long run I thought for years it would be harder but it's not at all. Plus you can always get all the fish waste and food right off the top of the sand and not miss any like you do with gravel.

The only hard part is rinsing it before putting the sand in the tank besides that its easier than gravel.

What will you not have to dig in vaccum? I was concerned that everytime I cleaned it I would make it all cloudy

It wouldnt be cloudy if you rinse the sand before putting it in the tank to start with. Sand is so fine the dirt sits on top rather than getting into all the cracks like gravel.

So could I mix in the blue gravel I like but have the black be the sand?

You could mix in gravel if you want but IMO if you do sand, a all sand tank looks so nice. Your getting African Cichlids right? If you are I think they look absolutely amazing over white sand.

Ya thinking:

8- African cichlids
2-redtail sharks
1- Bristlenose Pleco

Going to do some sand research tonight.

Ya thinking:

8- African cichlids
2-redtail sharks
1- Bristlenose Pleco

Going to do some sand research tonight.

Do not do 2 red tailed sharks that is a big no no. They are highly territorial and will kill each other honestly in a 55 gallon I would get 12 or 15 Africans and a Featherfin catfish.

Back
Top Bottom