Cichlids with pleco.. good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 6" pleco in my cichlid tank. It's a bristle nose and sometimes her bristles get eaten off, but she doesn't get beat up too bad. She now has a cave to herself where the other fish leave her alone.

I have a 6" pleco in my cichlid tank. It's a bristle nose and sometimes her bristles get eaten off, but she doesn't get beat up too bad. She now has a cave to herself where the other fish leave her alone.

If she has bristles, then she is a "he". I can't help but think that if your fleshy appendages were chewed off, your take on how 'bad' it is might be quite different. They may leave him alone when he's in that cave, but he has to come out some time. That's one thing I really don't like about cichlids- just about everyone who lives with them lives in fear :-(

I always thought the bristles meant it was a she! I was told wrong! And it doesn't happen that often. It happened a lot at the beginning but HE has learnt where he can and can't go. The cichlids have there own caves, he just doesn't go in them anymore.

My female bnp has itty bitty bristles, prominent bristles are definitely a male trait, especially bristled on the face and they have these spiny protrusions by their outer gill covers.... Just my observation... I agree that it's not a common- looks like a lizard pleco, well what I've been told is a lizard pleco. I don't know any of the L numbers, but I think it is one of them (though there are a multitude of them).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom