compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sebastian2345

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 37 gallon tank with a firemouth cichlid in it, and i was wondering if I could add a either a blue accra, a salvini, or a red tail shark. If not are there any small or medium cichlids that would work in it?

I wouldn't add any of those. A 37 gallon is pretty close to the minimum size for firemouths. I think you could maybe have a pair in there but that's about it.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would the firemouth and a red tail shark be aggressive towards each other or would it be more of a spacing issue. And would an apistogramma or other dwarf cichlid work, or maybe a gourami.

I think it would be a territory issue to add anything else. A 37 gallon has the same effective territory space as a 29 gallon, and all the fish you mentioned would fight over the same small space.

I'm not entirely sure. I think most top fish you could add would either be too big for the biofilter or small enough for the firemouth to eat. Might be best to keep a firemouth alone or in a pair in that size.

i have almost double filter capacity so what top level fist were you thinking

Wouldn't add other cichlids. Firemouths are very aggressive but they cant fight worth crap. They provoke other fish which only get themselves beat up. In a 37 there isn't much hiding space.

The gallons may seem like a lot but the footprint isn't great. A 40 breeder tank could probably do a Firemouth and a Con. Not Salvini. They are absolutely monstrous... Some members here have bad experiences with Acara and Firemouths, but i think the Blues work ok.

Some of the more rugged larger Tetras might be ok (think Lemon, possibly Serpae, Silvertips are borderline) but dont do Tiger Barbs. Maybe Rosy Barbs. Possibly Giant Danios but the tank is a bit short and they are incredibly active...

I would try about 8 Silvertips. They are fast. Try to get them as adults, which should be at about 2". Firemouths should have a hard time eating them.

Cories might work if you get adult ones of a larger specie. They are tough and they shouldnt really get bullied, although its difficult to tell.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't hesitate about adding another mild tempered fish such as Andinoacara pulcher( blue acara). The meeki is just that meek being all bark and no bite so I personally would try it. The salvini would be a train wreck as they're on the top of the aggression scale. the red tail shark wouldn't be a problem either in my opinion as they meeki won't see that as a threat.

Back
Top Bottom