convict cichlids #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have at least a 10 gallon tank. Put a male/female pair together. Nature will do the rest. Tank should be fully cycled and heated at 78 degrees to 82 degrees. Have a good filter. A canister is easier to deal with. I'd advise having a separate tank for all the babies...and not no little five gallon either. They breed like rabbits. You may end up using the fry as food eventually...LOL. Lace rock is great for the fry to have their own territories. Lots of nooks and crannies in lace rock. Honestly, try to have a 40 gallon tank to do this. They have lots of fry and they are tough and grow pretty fast. In a nice size tank, you won't be scrambling to get rid of some to make room for the new batch. Have fun!! :D

cichlid555 if you want advice i have about 1000 babys (a few generations) in my 55 gallon tank. and realy if you have a pair in a big enough tank you will want them to stop breeding mine have a new batch every month!!! i hate it no pet stores in my area will take them i call them the cichlid guppy. :twisted:

you know that some chichlids can actually live in lakes and ponds? I have a friend who released overgrown oscars into lakes, and we saw him a few years later, alive and kicking. That may not be relevant to your situation, just thought I would share

It is wrong to release any aquarium fish into wild areas. That is the very reason why many fish become illegal and it reaps havok on native wildlife species. To protect our hobby...do not release unwanted fish into the wild. Be responsible.

Cichlid555...you are very welcome. If you ever have too many on your hands and willing to ship them to Southern California...Look me up...LOL.

Dogspot really gave me some good information about convict cichlids! go read the post under "convict cichlids-live bearers ?"

Back
Top Bottom