demasoni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torin31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone can tell be about these cichlids demasoni and how many I can put in a 50 g. I am looking for a blue mbuna type cichlid for a 50 g.

They are dwarf mbuna, they stay small... I had 20 in a 75 gal with no problems, just need plenty of rocks and excellent maintenance routine... you can probably have a dozen at least in a 50, and it's really recommended to keep a minimum of 9 fish to curb aggression.

I currently have 2 kenyi and 2 zebra 1 unknown 1 yellow lab I want to stock a 44g hex or 50 g with another 4 yellow labs and 4 to 5 blue type its between damasoni or electric blue. Can it be done is it to much for a hex, I will be building flat rocks very high throughout the tank. Le me no what you think.

Mmmm... the Electric Blue is not mbuna and really needs a 70 gal to be happy, I think. If it were mine (and I have exactly the same species you are keeping!) I would go for more Kenyi females to give you the blue factor, they stay pretty much blue and are not going to be as bad as the demasoni per aggression.

Here is a picture of my tank with all three of those species you have and how they look under the right lighting, diet, water quality, etc... I have little to no aggression, and all fish display decent coloration at all times for being cheap store-bought-probably-hybrid-run-of-the-mill fish... My male Kenyis are just now starting to become yellow, and they look much different than the yellow labs, they turn more of a golden color, retain the vertical barring...

Attachments

• close1.jpg
    close1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 81
  • close3.jpg
    close3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 79
wow nice my female is about 4 inches and she is not as blue as yours but I really have no special lighting. In a 44 g hex you think i can add 4 yellow labs and 3 more female kenyis. Also what lighting should i get and if you can recommend filtration I am running 2 40 aqua bio wheels now id like to go to a canister, or one 40 and a canister. All your input is appreciated.

Yeah, I think with high filtration like that, tons of rocks and water changes weekly you can stock that many fish. Regarding filtration, the more the better. A canister is a good choice... I am running two canisters and a giant hydro-sponge filter, look at my photos you can practically drink the water! I also stock high and change about 50 percent of the water weekly.

what canister do you recommend for ease and what size I no a lot of them claim high outputs but in reality they are not even close. I do currently 25% water changes weekly so Ideally I am looking at a canister and one aqua 20-40 bio wheel. I will post my currently 30 g with rocks take a look and let me no what you think my 50 or 44 hex is coming the 21st just have to decide which one. I will re post a new topic with the opic of the 30 g tank.

In all honesty, I like the magnum HOB canister for ease of use, and it doesn't have to pump water up any height of hose, it is at water level so it is very efficient and it is quiet and affordable... The only problem is as they get old they can spit micro bubbles, some not all do this.. I had one go for five years no problems then I am unable to make it stop shooting 10,000,000 bubbles everywhere. But you could probably get away with any of the ones out there, alot of people use different ones they are all good. I also have a Marineland C-220 which I love... The valve on top and self priming mechanisms are awesome...

The c220 is one i am looking at a swell as eheim ecco.

The c220 is one i am looking at a swell as eheim ecco.
I have an eheim 2215 on my cichlid tank and it works great, also it is 15 years old and have never had to replace a part. The best part is it's virtually silent.

If you haven't decided yet, the 50g would be the best option for Mbuna. Hex tanks are no good....not much surface area to work with and with Mbuna you want the most you can get.

well I have decided 50g tank and also ordered eheim 2215 filter. Will post pics by start of next week.

Back
Top Bottom