Favorite cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are frontosas to docile to keep with mbuna, will they be bullied to much?

Are frontosas to docile to keep with mbuna, will they be bullied to much?

Some people keep frontosas with mbuna but I wouldn't recommend it...there are several reasons.
1. Feeding requirements are different. Mbuna are algae grazers and too much protein gives them bloat (in simple terms) frontosas NEED protein!
2. Mbuna are highly active and always moving. Frontosas are slow (unless startled, then your eyes aren't quick enough to see them lol) and they're easy going stress free fish.
3. Mbuna eat from the top and frontosas should have sinking food. Which wouldn't be a big deal but IME the mbuna eat so frantically that the frontosa hang at the bottom an never get a pellet of food. (I had my frontosas in with my mbuna in the beginning for about a month)
4. Mbuna can get up to 6", frontosas can reach 16". Mbuna are night sleepers, frontosas are night hunters.....need I say more?

And those are the reasons that I can come up with off the top of my head why they shouldn't be together. lol

Pricey around me, only one lfs sells them and at $40 for 1.5" if I had room I could find them from some breeders locally for way cheaper. That's the place to look. You would be surprised about what around you when you really start looking

Yeah, my first few I paid up to $25. After that I found a breeder and got them for $5 each. Then I got a few more for $16 each. So the price really varies. But breeders are the way to go.

Red tigers and jaguars are cool. I'm thinking of my dream cichlid tank

I purchased a frontosa for $18 at 1 inch about 2 weeks ago. His colors are already extremely good. His fins are sooo blue.

mine are definitely the Jalo Reef Mbuna,

Attachments

• left_facing.jpg
    left_facing.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 71
Managuense (jaguar) cichlid (this is not my fish)

Hands down the most awesome to keep.

(trying to talk the hubby into just one more tank for one)

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 68
Uaru amphianthancoides, full of personality and all the size and color of the big new worlds but without the attitude

image-4241213881.jpg

image-116784863.jpg

Gotta say oscars :) especially red. Can't add a pic but I have some of my sisters tiger Oscar in one of my albums

My favorite that I own is my plain ole demosoni. I just like his simple yet rich color pattern and although he is the smallest in my tank he is definitely the boss!

image-1097298731.jpg

Beautiful. I almost got one once but I didn't want him attacking my yellow labs

My favorite that I own is my plain ole demosoni. I just like his simple yet rich color pattern and although he is the smallest in my tank he is definitely the boss!

I have 6 of em in my tank they just keep to themselves and they're gorgeous fish. I love em.

Another one of my favorites and I've even trying to get one for a while is the Taiwanee Reef!

Attachments

• image-1561958819.jpg
    image-1561958819.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 75
I have yellow labs in my tank. My demosoni seems to be a live and let live fish. He stands his ground but leaves everyone alone if they don't bother him.

Back
Top Bottom