First time angel owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadofthehills

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I just picked up 4 penny/nickel sized angels (3 marble/blushing, 1 whiteish/blushing) today. I picked those 4 because they were the most voracious in the tank, 20L with about 50 others in there.

Anyway, I brought them home to my new tank, 30T Hex (10" sides, 24" tall).
This has an aquaclear 70, and i used media from my 55 with an ac 110, so no cycling problems there.

I have tahaitan moon sand on the bottom, and it also has a striped peacock eel, 2 female guppys and 2 mystery snails. I plan on getting 2 more female guppies and a male so the new angles have some hunting experience when they spawn.

I acclimated them over 45 minutes, and after 5 minutes, I tried feeding them, and the 3 marbles devoured omega one fish flakes. I also have freeze dried daphnia for them. Tommorow i will trie frozen bloodworms aand frozen (spirulina enchanced) brine shrimp. As they get bigger, I will be using more of a variety in the flake department. I am a fan of feeding a variety and water changes when it comes to fish.

The tank has silk plants and a hydorr 150 watt heater, water temp is 80. something degrees.

I can't find the white one...

Anyway, I am hoping for a pair to form, then return the other 2. How long will this take if it happens?

Also, my only concern is that my pH is 7.6...
I know they prefer acidic water, but I also thought that stable water is better than fluxuating acidic water in general.

Will they be okay in this water?

I use prime water conditioner by the way.

Sound good?
Tips/tricks raising angels?
Thanks!
update-white one (smallest) was stuck on intake tube... i put him in a 2.5g (cycled) and when he gets strong enough i'll re introduce him...

ALl i can say is good luck... i tried angels a few times times in a pH of about 7.6 and didn't have much luck. I bought 6.. 3 survived and i grew them out and got a piar. After about 3 months one of them died. So i sold the other back and bought 6 more juvie angels. all but about 2 of them died and i finally gave up and am now doing african cichlids... my theory is that whiule the angels could survive.. they just weren't thriving in my hard/alkaline water.

tricks and tips? i bought 1 andel hardly the size of a dime when i first started my tank and he is now about 3 1/2 inches long. that was in only about a year!! my angel really like frozen and live food. i found his colour was alot better after i started feeding him frozen blood worms. they arnt that expensive if u buy them in like frozen sheets instead of the cubes. and also the guppy thing is a good idea. i have a guppy breeding tank that i use mostly to feed him. i put a fry in the other end of the tank and he is on it fatser than a fat kid on a cup cake. if u start to notice a pair remove the other 2 immediatly so they can set up a proper territory that way they arnt as likely to be laying there eggs on intake tubes and heaters. i never had a chance to witness angels pairing up but i would assume thta they wouldnt pair up untill about an inch in size but that is only a guess. also dont worry to much about your ph because if u got them from a local fish store then they are already acclimated to close to your water perameters. i have really hard water but mine angel is thriving. hth

Its a bit premature, but two of them are always together.

I covered my intake tube with some foam, but the suction was still too strong for the little white one, so after trying the tank again, he is back in the 2.5...

The other three however are swimming threw the current on the top, picking at the snail's algae wafers on the bottom, and swimming through the plants in the middle. Its like they have been in the tank for weeks!

They have poked at a shrimp pellet too, in addition to their omega one flake. They chase the guppies too!

it took mine the full 3 months until they paired up and by that time they were about 2-3" and i bought them the size of a quarter.

yes.. many say you don't have to worry about the pH and i didn't.. but i still firmly believe that the reason they didn't thrive in my tank was becuase of the pH. I did frequent water changes, parameters were always great, and i fed a variety of foods.

I hope you have better luck with yours and would love to see some pictures :mrgreen:

u have to be carful because if u keep the one angel away from the others to long they may pick on him when u put him back in. i wanted to add another angel to my tank but if u dont get another angel almost the same size sometimes problems will occur. try to get him into the big tank soon so he is as strong and lively as the others.

thanks guys, the littel white one is seeming better in the 2.5, but i had to turn off the filter... i hope the java fern will oxygenate the water, although i have been swishing my finger in it every now and tehn. i also put the media directly into the tank so the nitro cycle can be proformed...

My pH got as high as 8.4 and I had no problem keeping angels, and they even spawned at that pH and the eggs hatched.

BillD said:
My pH got as high as 8.4 and I had no problem keeping angels, and they even spawned at that pH and the eggs hatched.

wow that's awesome!!! Mine exhibited spawning activity and even began showing their breeding tubes... before one of them died. Maybe he was sick, maybe he had an aneurism.. lol... Maybe i just don't have luck with angels :roll: But it has lead me to believe that while any fish can adapt to just about any pH that they won't ALWAYS thrive at that pH.

Back
Top Bottom