Help! Injured cichlid!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
My little girl has a nasty abrasion down one side. I'm unsure as to the cause - perhaps from the lava rock?

I'm about to move her to my QT tank but still quite a newb so unsure of whether to medicate/use salt/etc. The abrasion is bleeding slightly this morning. I don't have any mercurochrome but have read that Betadine can be used? The only medication I have on hand is Wardley Promethyasul which is a broad spectrum that contains malachite green. I have used it to successfully treat fungal infections in my goldfish but unsure if I should use it here?

She didn't eat last night. I adde Easy Life Fluid Filter Medium to the main tank last night and she seems a little perkier today.

Any advice would be appreciated.

image-1458486126.jpg

image-2764959042.jpg

What other fish do you have with it that are aggressive enough to hurt and also there is a very good chance it could be from the rock or from being chased and hitting the rock . And how long has it been like that

She's now in QT and not looking good - swimming in her side :(

She was in a 55 gal with other Africans and was one of my first and never been a target for my tank boss. In fact, she normally hangs out peacefully with a group of 3 other peacocks.

It definitely looks like an abrasion from rocks.

I have just moved her to QT and not sure what else I can do for my poor girl.

Going to check if my LFS is open today - I'm in Australia and today is a public holiday.

Ok well all my LFS are closed for the holiday. Any suggestions? I don't have aquarium salt but I do have sea salt. Would this help? She's not looking good :(

Her fins are looking pretty tattered too. I'm leaning toward using the Promethyasul which is a broadspectrum anti bacterial and anti fungal.

image-2280328947.jpg

image-3210983575.jpg

Well she's gone :(

Held off on medicating but she got cottony growth on the wound and by then it was too little too late.

RIP little fishie.

It's hard not to. They have such intelligence that not many people are aware of. Some neighbours of mine can't believe it when I tell them how they guard their eggs, fan water over them and protect their young from predators when they've hatched. All the best :)

Back
Top Bottom