Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, not a hero/ saum, though it does share the same genetic morph as these guys and lemon/orange Oscars...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
Really an EBJD in a 29 G ??
Yes, their slow growth rate and calm demeanor, along with return value if you raise them tenaciously, as you would have to in a 29g. They at pretty enough to be an only fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
What is a gold convict? Can't say I've ever heard of anything other than the normal black or pink amatitlania nigrofasciatus...are you referring to cryptoheros nanoluteus, sometimes called the yellow convict? And I agree with above, to house an EBJD in a 29 is asinine advice, they are more sensitive to water quality than a regular jack, and although they grow much more slowly, they eventually reach the same size, if they get past the 2-3" size, which most do not.
I'm a rescue and rehome aquarist along with being an aquaculture/hydroculture tinkerer, and of course- an entrepreneur, so my hobby has become my lifestyle which makes me think of how much the value of an ebjd shoots up when you purchase at an inch and hand raise to 4-6 inches and if you liked the experience you now have enough $ to upgrade your tank to a 40b, perfect for a specimen tank, if not you've probably learned enough to know what you want and you have some cash in your pocket.

I'm trying to find out more about gold cons- I believe it's just the same genetic fluke that creates the lemon variation of the Oscar

Old 02-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really aquaenthused a ebjd can not be kept in a 29 gallon that's ridiculous. They get 8 inches and need at least a 40 now front preferably a 55 gallon.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaenthused View Post
Yes, their slow growth rate and calm demeanor, along with return value if you raise them tenaciously, as you would have to in a 29g. They at pretty enough to be an only fish.

I'm a rescue and rehome aquarist along with being an aquaculture/hydroculture tinkerer, and of course- an entrepreneur, so my hobby has become my lifestyle which makes me think of how much the value of an ebjd shoots up when you purchase at an inch and hand raise to 4-6 inches and if you liked the experience you now have enough $ to upgrade your tank to a 40b, perfect for a specimen tank, if not you've probably learned enough to know what you want and you have some cash in your pocket.

I'm trying to find out more about gold cons- I believe it's just the same genetic fluke that creates the lemon variation of the Oscar

One of the most asinine things I've heard on here. You don't buy an expensive fish, that generally don't make it past 3 inches, even for experienced keepers, and put it in a tank you KNOW it will outgrow, and buy a tank "if you like it or not"...You buy the correct size tank for the fish, and do the proper research on the fish to know if you'll like it or not. The buying and selling mentality works for some, but you don't give that kind of advice to people that are mostly beginners.

And I've still never heard of anything even called a gold convict within the amatitlania genus, let alone in the species nigrofasciata. I've seen marbled, pink, and wild type. Unless there's some new strain I've never heard of, it doesn't exist.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaenthused View Post
There is no way this is proper treatment of an EBJD IMO this is just plain cruel.
I sure hope no one reads this and takes this as good advise.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On another note, I recommend you reconsider the 55. I don't think you will like it in the long run because it isn't very deep (front to back) leaving you very little room to aqua scape. If it isn't too late, I recommend a 65 or a 75. Just an opinion, but worth considering.

CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, gallon, help me, stock, stocking, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com