Help me stock my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cauterox04

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon tank and I'm wondering what to stock in it

I honestly really like
Jack demphys
Tiger barbs
Some other South American cichlids
Could all this work or no please help me out and would a shovel nose cat fish work with this tank or no

A 55 with a Dempsey limits your stocking list greatly. You could do 1 Dempsey, and a small school of dither/target fish like tiger barbs or giant danios. No other cichlids and especially not a shovel nose. Those get good sized

Say I don't do a demphsy what would go awesome in a tank like that

I want semi or aggressive fish and the tank isn't even set up yet I'm jist trying to get in mind what kind of fish I want

I would go with cichlid since they are some of the prettiest freshwater fishes and they come and so many varieties

I want semi or aggressive fish and the tank isn't even set up yet I'm jist trying to get in mind what kind of fish I want

What kind should I go with. And what other fish can I put in there with them. Could I put some tiger barbs and some other stuff

Stocking a 55 gallon

Need help I want semi or aggressive fish need ideas thank you

I would go with cichlid since they are some of the prettiest freshwater fishes and they come and so many varieties

He's in the cichlid section of the forum, so hopefully that's already in his mind :lol: Also, what size fish are you looking to get?

I mean it doesn't matter to me I just want an awesome looking tank I'm pretty new to all of this so I just need help with matching fish together

Well to help guide you in the direction you prefer, need to know what size fish you like =P If you want a colorful tank, you can't ever go wrong with an all male peacock tank (but very expensive if you're not buying them as juveniles then rehoming all the females).

Dude just go to your loval fish or pet store and buy the smallest cichlids you can but ones you think will look the prettiest... A good rule of thimb is not to buy fish that arent in the samee tank.. For example i bought assorted african cichlids for my 55 gallon and just identified them when i got home... However you cant put community fish like tiger barbs or tetras with them unles theyre bigger... You can put plecos or big loaches with them... Also do your research and decide on EXACTLY what kind of fish you want and from where... Also do some scouting at your local pet and fish stores to see where you can get some good deals or if you have friends that breed them... One more thing,dont get a pair of the same fish unless you KNOW theyre male and female because if u get two males theyll fight to the death... I also have a 55 and i have 12 cichlids in it... Its a good number dont go more than 20 or youll have to add extra filtration

thanks a lot for all the help

I was thinking of going some south American cichlids and maybe trying to add some tiger barbs or something like that and see how that works out

Haha yea man just do your research so idont know a lot about south american cichlids because i did an african cichlid tank the may be compatible but youll never know till you do ur research... You should post a pic of ur tank so i can see what it looks like... Why tiger barbs??

im not really sure actually they look pretty cool. i don't have any of my tank set up yet I'm getting hard woods floors put in my house so i gotta wait till the weekend. i mean i was thinking of going maybe some tiger barbs maybe a cat fish or something like that and def more fish i just don't remember the names

Dude i saw ur earlier post just do africans... U have a TON of options... I mean if ur really leaning towards jack dempseys then go for it but there is a ton more variety with africans

The people where saying it's annoying to do Africans because of the high ph level. I kind if want just more than one type of fish In my tank you know. I do like the blue demphys I def want that and maybe a blood red parrot

Cuz if u wanna do tiger barbs and a catfish of somesort i would do a big planted community tank those look very nice i have a 35 gallon planted community tank

I'm really up in the arms with what I wanna do I wanna some sorry of cichlids in there

Back
Top Bottom