Help me stock my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sand is my substrate of choice- though you are going to want a bottom dweller that will mix up the top layer of it to ensure you get all you can while practicing the hover technique of aqua vacuuming...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of sand like what's it called and how much would I need for a 55 gallon tank

That's not really true you can use your hand when cleaning and stir up anything you want bottom feeders aren't necessary in sand tanks.

Old school of aquarium enthusiasts will almost always go with one pound of sand per gallon, just as long as you cover the 'floor' you should be all set.

whats awesome cichlid that i can throw in this tank that you would if you could start over

Dude just go to your loval fish or pet store and buy the smallest cichlids you can but ones you think will look the prettiest... A good rule of thimb is not to buy fish that arent in the samee tank.. For example i bought assorted african cichlids for my 55 gallon and just identified them when i got home... However you cant put community fish like tiger barbs or tetras with them unles theyre bigger... You can put plecos or big loaches with them... Also do your research and decide on EXACTLY what kind of fish you want and from where... Also do some scouting at your local pet and fish stores to see where you can get some good deals or if you have friends that breed them... One more thing,dont get a pair of the same fish unless you KNOW theyre male and female because if u get two males theyll fight to the death... I also have a 55 and i have 12 cichlids in it... Its a good number dont go more than 20 or youll have to add extra filtration

This is some of the worst advice I've seen in a while. You don't just "buy fish and figure them out later". Tanks typically crash and fail when that is done. Knowing your stock list BEFORE you set up a tank is always ideal.

Parachromis managuense start out at an inch and end up 16" monsters that will kill nearly anything you try to house with them typically. And yes, they are common at fish stores. They're typically called Jaguar cichlids.

Nimbochromis venustus are typically purchased as small, 1.5-2" fish and max out at 11". These are EXTREMELY common fish too.

The idea of buying the smallest fish possible is totally and completely ludicrous [mod edit ;) - remember to play nice with others].

Not all males will fit. Cleithracara maronii (keyhole) males will live peacefully. Several other species too. Many Mbuna species do better with more individuals, like 1 male to 3-5 females because they will overbreed and harass a single female to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is some of the worst advice I've seen in a while. You don't just "buy fish and figure them out later". Tanks typically crash and fail when that is done. Knowing your stock list BEFORE you set up a tank is always ideal.

Parachromis managuense start out at an inch and end up 16" monsters that will kill nearly anything you try to house with them typically. And yes, they are common at fish stores. They're typically called Jaguar cichlids.

Nimbochromis venustus are typically purchased as small, 1.5-2" fish and max out at 11". These are EXTREMELY common fish too.

The idea of buying the smallest fish possible is totally and completely asinine.

Not all males will fit. Cleithracara maronii (keyhole) males will live peacefully. Several other species too. Many Mbuna species do better with more individuals, like 1 male to 3-5 females because they will overbreed and harass a single female to death.

I thought the same thing to but Josh7 Stepped in with some good advice if you keep reading.

Man I have given you ideas over and over of what you can do with a red tailed shark you could do

1- Firemouth
1- Blue Acara
1- Red Tailed Shark
10- Tiger barbs
Or

2- Firemouths
10- Tiger Barbs
1- Red Tailed Shark

Or

1- Jack Dempsey
1- Red Tailed Shark
3- Pictus Cats

Or
1- Convict
1- Blue Acara
10- Tiger Barbs
1- Red Tailed Shark

Or

2- Acaras
8- Tiger Barbs
1- Red Tailed Shark

I have my 8 inch red tail with my juvenile flowerhorn in a 125g. They are tough guys, but they get a bad rep. They only pester the fish that pester them- at least that is the trend I've noticed working with them, and those that occupy the same space as them that have a similar body type as them, so in all honesty any type of SA/CA cichlid other than peaceful and small

8 inch red tailed shark? I have never seen one that big pics lol I need to see this!

so guys after all of this I'm making my 55 Gallon salt water.
but i also have a 29 gallon tank what would work good in that anything cool (freshwater)

Good luck with the saltwater! You're going to need it!

In a 29 gallon tank how many blue rams can I put in and what could go with it

Man I have given you ideas over and over of what you can do with a red tailed shark you could do

1- Firemouth
1- Blue Acara
1- Red Tailed Shark
10- Tiger barbs
Or

2- Firemouths
10- Tiger Barbs
1- Red Tailed Shark

Or

1- Jack Dempsey
1- Red Tailed Shark
3- Pictus Cats

Or
1- Convict
1- Blue Acara
10- Tiger Barbs
1- Red Tailed Shark

Or

2- Acaras
8- Tiger Barbs
1- Red Tailed Shark

Awesome suggestions- a couple other cichlid ideas based on your last 2 suggested stocklists- 2 rainbow cichlids, 4 kribs/ apistos, a pair of rams and a single acara or ebjd.

Attachments

• 1392923629588.jpg
    1392923629588.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 57
Awesome suggestions- a couple other cichlid ideas based on your last 2 suggested stocklists- 2 rainbow cichlids, 4 kribs/ apistos, a pair of rams and a single acara or ebjd.

Oh, and the pic is of my giant red tail, the goldfish in the background is a comet that is 10 inches including tail.

I would suggest to the OP that it is time for a new thread on the 29 gallon, as this one seems to have run its course with your decision to make it a saltwater tank.

Didn't read everything first- but on the bright side, a 29g could house a pair of- rams, kribs, apistos, a single ebjd, or a pair of gold convicts (not black or pink, gold only grow to 4 inches) if you are willing to constantly remove fry/ intervene during spawning.... For what I get the idea you're looking for I'd say look into non cichlids like dwarf rainbow fish, scarlet badis, dwarf puffers (green spotted puffers ARE NOT freshwater or dwarf and are not really a good choice for a normal aquarist- just a warning)

Didn't read everything first- but on the bright side, a 29g could house a pair of- rams, kribs, apistos, a single ebjd, or a pair of gold convicts (not black or pink, gold only grow to 4 inches) if you are willing to constantly remove fry/ intervene during spawning.... For what I get the idea you're looking for I'd say look into non cichlids like dwarf rainbow fish, scarlet badis, dwarf puffers (green spotted puffers ARE NOT freshwater or dwarf and are not really a good choice for a normal aquarist- just a warning)

Really an EBJD in a 29 G ??

What is a gold convict? Can't say I've ever heard of anything other than the normal black or pink amatitlania nigrofasciatus...are you referring to cryptoheros nanoluteus, sometimes called the yellow convict? And I agree with above, to house an EBJD in a 29 is asinine advice, they are more sensitive to water quality than a regular jack, and although they grow much more slowly, they eventually reach the same size, if they get past the 2-3" size, which most do not.

Back
Top Bottom