Help stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly what I'm trying not to happen. I want my fish to be as healthy and live as long as they can. I'll stick to the ones you said and get 5 at a time

Try google searching for mbuna/malawi tank set ups and brackish set ups if you like scats. It's best to get a wider range of examples rather than just one.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also use youtube to see how others have set up their tanks. Look at the types and amount of rock, the type and amount of substrate and the background what color and type. You can always ask questions aquarists love talking about their tanks.

I will def look into it. I chose live sand as my substrate and the limestone to bring up the ph and my room keeps the tank at 78 year round. I guess the only thing I didn't look into was a background color. I picked white so it reflects the color of the water to make it always look deep

As a strict malawi keeper you should and could fishless cycle the tank with ammonia to 5ppm at least but ive used 6+ before and add them all in one go, if theyre smaller than 2-3inchs this will be no problem what so ever. If money is an issue with buying 25fish in one go, groups 5 would be OK if rearranging the tank each time. With cichlids its better to add as many as possible as has been mentioned or otherwise more than the ordinary trouble will follow. With 5 fish from 5 different species getting the ratio 1m:4f will definitely need some long work and takes longer than you think and may not be rectifiable if using mail order for certain species. Removing males and giving them away is quite painful too and i know from experience that you grow attached to eveeyone quite easily. Plus catching them is a whole new task in itself.

Shipping at 30bucks each time for 5 will add up to 150buck on postage alone. Adding 5 at a time a tank rearrange is 100% needed as territories will be established and aggression will certainly be escalated and the newcomers will feel the heavy end and some, mbuna in particular can be ruthless with a capital R. Also its important to try and add fish of simular size! When young they can grow quickly and the 5 you buy one month will be much larger than the last 5 you add but the more you add the less the aggression will become so after the first few batches, the 5 to make 20 and the 5 to make a stocked 25 should be easier than the ones before. Ive always added my fish in one go and with cichlids fishless cycling IS your best friend because it allows you to add much more than a cycle slowly built up to the ammonia production of the current stock alone where adding 5 at a time small mini cycles can be expected each time.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I got most of my stock off of aquabid for my african tank. You can find a good dealer and most will offer better shipping rates, some even will do free shipping and combined shipping.

I got most of my stock off of aquabid for my african tank. You can find a good dealer and most will offer better shipping rates, some even will do free shipping and combined shipping.

This is very true. Look around as i garantee there will be some domestic breeders that do super cheap fry as sometimes theyre just a bio product of fish keeping and not kept for profit making and no keeper wants their local lfs selling their strong healthly plump fry to goldfish bowl children. But sometimes you really have no choice.

I'll check aquabid. I signed up for an account a while ago on it. I'll see how many I can afford. Thank you for the help on all of this! I didn't know how much there was too it but km glad it's being done right

I haven't been able to copy previous posts but what mollinwopp wrote is completely correct. Ideally you should put all 25 in together if you can't afford that then in batches of 5 but try aquabid as dragonfish mentioned you may be able to get all your mbuna cheaper than you think. One very important thing to remember is one male per species to four females, if you're in doubt that the seller can sell you 1 male and 4 females do yourself a favour and don't make the purchase.

I see a lot of good prices for Mbuna cichlids on aquabid. I'm going to use themImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389386759.605156.jpg

Can I request certain sex's on it or is it just u get what you get

You could place a thread right here on the aa in the classifieds stating that your looking for cheap malawis. Choose who you buy from and ask for pics of the fish in question. Whether you find the exact species in the time frame needed is debatable but theres a chance you may find afew.

Looks like your getting somewhere now you've got me thinking about doing another mbuna set up.

Can I request certain sex's on it or is it just u get what you get

As ive never used the website youre talking about ill have to speak generally, buying sexed fish could cost you more because as you probably know most mbuna are unsexable until a certain size. Therefore more time, effect, food and important to a profitable breeder, money has been spent to grow sexable fish. Also most buyers want the ratios you talk about so an abudance of wasted males i imagine would put most sellers off selling sexed fish. Unless of course theyre well known and established enough to do so.

Its slightly easier with peacocks because individual males are also very sort after. All male mbuna tanks do happen but its less heard of. But pushing the fact you need 1 to 4 male to female can be done.

Its a gray area as some breeders would rather take your money and say theyre sending the ratio you asked for than not make a sale. Its not the end of the world because males can coexist together just fine and it just depends! individual species act differently and also the personality of the individual cichlid might be more/less tolerant as they are all different. A slightly out of balance male to female ratio in a 4footer with 25 fish could also work because of fish abundance. If you have trouble you can always remove a male if trouble happends, the worst that can happen is you end up with 20 fish because some males had to be removed..... leaves an opening for another species if you ask me!

Because i keep species only tanks aggression is minimal and fish selecting becomes easy. 12 fish, let them grow choose the best built most beautiful male and keep the females which also eliminates a need to overstock which is brilliant in my opinion.

Sorry, no the worst thing would be 1female and 4males or 5males duh!

Last edited:
I'll check aquabid. I signed up for an account a while ago on it. I'll see how many I can afford. Thank you for the help on all of this! I didn't know how much there was too it but km glad it's being done right

There's only so much to it because we all want to help you avoid the mistakes that can both kill your fish and your passion for the hobby. If it seems like there's more to it it's because good advice is often learnt the hard way.

Hey on aquabid imperial tropicals is the seller named SHOWFISHING. They have some of the fish you wanted listening groups of 5 for 45 dollars w free shipping

The problem is that the kinda you mentioned are super hard to tell sex so you'll have to watch to see who turns up male and female

How do I tell who is male and who is female later on? Am I just waiting to see which is the Aggressive fish and if I have 2 aggressive ones than I have 2 males and one has to be removed? What do I do with that fish? Give him to my lfs? Or sell him?

How do I tell who is male and who is female later on? Am I just waiting to see which is the Aggressive fish and if I have 2 aggressive ones than I have 2 males and one has to be removed? What do I do with that fish? Give him to my lfs? Or sell him?

Males almost always show more or deeper color, are larger and their anal fins can differ but venting them is a way to be sure. Growing fish until theyre sexable should be managable as their aggression towards other males definitely grows the maturer they become. My males in my rusty species tank each hold a territory and will generally stay in their area most of the time with the Alpha occasionally blasting around the tank to remind everyone whos the daddy. They treat females differently and tolerate them for short time aslong as they interact with the male in a way he likes and thats up to his standards! As soon as she turns away or shows the tiniest disinterest in his dance advances, like lightning chases her off.

Removing males is a recommended practice 95% of the time unless you have a huge tank but it isnt a cut and drawn case and isnt always needed. It really does all depend on the species of mbuna and the individual temperment of the male that becomes dominant. In some species once the alpha is fully established the subdominants know their place and can be chased off. Its funny sometime because all my alpha rusty has to do 99% of the time is poke his out of his cave when he sees another approaching and the sub male scatters or stops still and slowly backs up.

Again raising them together helps also as theyve always been around males. The reason why i mention the character of the alpha is because if hes a **** he'll bully the other males to a point of doing nothing else but searching for another male to attack. If i were you and you unfortunatly got afew males, before removing all but one i would recommend that you watch first, then secondly remove the most aggressive first and see if the others can coexist in my experience but i believe some mbuna species simply wont tolerate others period!

Selling or giving them away is sometimes the only option and doesnt fill you with warmth thats for sure.

I probably dont need to mention that huge problems come when adding mature, unformiliar and evenly matched males together. If the added fish has been dominant in its previous enviroment a fight to the death isnt uncommon.

Keeping males together can be done just be vigilant from day1. As the fish you buy will be unsettled and juvi it may take months for their true colours to show through when they arnt influenced by new surroundings. As they grow their attitude can change also so what seems to be working now can turn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom