Help stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90 gal tank
I'm almost done with my cycle for me ehiem 2217 and when that's running I'm going to than clean my 2213 and than add that too.

I already have in mind 2 yellow labs and 2 socolofi fish.

Any other ideas?

Pref African cichlids because of my high ph

I don't know much about African cichlids, but I have a fairly high ph too and I keep all South Americans, they don't seem to mind it as long as the ph is stable. How high is your ph?

My kit goes to 7.6 but I'd guess it's an 8.3 that's why I was looking into them. They like ph all they way up to 9. I was thinking of keeping mbuna because without a heater my room keeps the temp at 78 which is perfect too. Plus I love the colors on them. It's like a tropical look in a freshwater tank

Well there's plenty to choose from and with 90 gallons you can house a lot of them. Be careful with introducing new tankmates as the current stock won't be pleased and will likely attack. One method is to remove lots of the rock and rearrange it. Alternatively put all stock in together if you can afford it. Which species are you thinking of getting ?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have no fish in there so I'm going to order from imperial tropicals. They do free shipping on orders over. 30$ or split costs for over night so it's affordable. I wasn't sure what species yet I wanted to hear opinions on what people like that have bright colors and would get along well

Nice I'd add a lot more rock if you want mbuna at there best. Mbuna means rock fish you almost can't have enough rock. As for species you have to decide from all cynotilapia spp. All Labidochromis spp and lodotropheus sprengerae.

Sorry I may have got that wrong I forgot us gallons are different to uk gallons what's your tank dimensions width, length and height in inches ?

I have 3 more big limestone rocks I can add that I bought ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389310932.118898.jpg
That's my specs

I'm not sure which one the labs and socolofi fall into but I'll go all those. They are my favorite freshwater fish and the only ones I've chosen so far because of what you said

Labs is short for labidochromis which is what I recommended but there's many more than just caeruleus. Check out hongi and perlmutt for starters. Socolofi defend 18 inches square so should be fine also. Please check out cynotilapia afra and iodotropheus sprengerae all of these would be great for your tank.

I love the cynotilapia I'm going to look into finding them!! Are these the other 2 but a dif name?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389314162.521373.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389314173.567100.jpg

I'm so happy you responded! I want these two ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389319555.322571.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389319563.886851.jpg
Do I need more than one of each or can it just be one. I don't want to over stock my tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389319617.024320.jpg
Sorry had to zoom in on this fish. It's hilarious

I feel 6 fish should be enough. I don't need more unless I need 2 each of those guys so they have a companion to be around. I know some fish like to be solitary like the puffer and I assume these don't since their community fish. But than again there's still a lot for me to learn

In 90 gal you can do about 20-25 mbuna. Great ones suggested so far. Look at cynotilapia white top hara and pseudotropheus Polit. Awesome!

In 90 gal you can do about 20-25 mbuna. Great ones suggested so far. Look at cynotilapia white top hara and pseudotropheus Polit. Awesome!

The site I'm buying my fish from only have the labs and the socolofi. Do u have a cheap website for those guys too? Im going to get the 2 I mentioned and those 2

Do I need pairs tho? Because if get one of each than when I was going to get 2 labs and 2 soco's

Pairs are a bad idea because if you get 2 males then one will bully or kill other and a male and female the male will harass her to death. I'd do a songle of a bunch of types or do groups of 5 of a handful of types. It'll be better in the long run. Labs and socolofi are normally avail at local shops so I'd get singled of some unlike at local store and order groups of a few types that are real nice and not locally available Make sense? You have lots of options in a 90 gallon. Cichlidsarespecial and Dave rare aquarium fish as well as imperial tropicals all have good selections of nice fish online.

I read back on thread and 6 fish will make your tank seem so bare. You really need at minimum I'd say 15 African cichlids for aggression reasons. They'll beat each other up. More is better in this scenario. Maimgano and blue cobalt zebras as well as red/ orange zebras and blotch zebras, bumblebees, and auratus are available on imperial tropicals site. They'll all work together.

Back
Top Bottom