Help with My african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TaylorT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I was wondering if 84 degrees is to hot for african cichlids? The room that my tank is in is hot and I was wondering if I need to do something so the tank doesn't get so hot.

If that is the ambient (room) temperature, then the tank temp should be around 80 depending on the size of the tank, and you should be fine. Just make sure to have enough surface agitation to keep the water oxygenated as the warmer water becomes the less oxygen it will hold. If you have an open tank, then you could put a clip-on fan on the rim blowing at the surface of the water to help with this. And, of course, they do sell aquarium chillers just for this purpose.

No the tank temp is 84. I was wondering if that was to hot. Will two large air pimps be enough?

No the tank temp is 84. I was wondering if that was to hot. Will two large air pimps be enough?
How large is large? How much Air stone or air wand do you have?
You could have a dual air pump for up to a 100g tank, but if you only have a 3" air stone, you won't have enough air getting through.

Air pumps won't do anything with the actual temp of the tank, but will increase oxygen levels throughout the warmer water through surface agitation which is a good thing. 84 degrees is on the very side which will increase their appetite and could also increase aggression. I would find a large fan to blow cooler air across the top of tank to bring those temps down, all my africans are set right at 78 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom