How will these fish do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariahb1994

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, my tank is a 55g and has lots of slate. I dont know all the names to the fish that are in there... some were given to me as mystery fish haha. I will post pictures of the ones i dont know what they are.
I have
-8 convict cichlids (from and inch to full grown like 7 inches) some have blue???? Others are very pale?
-one strawberry peacock
-two electric yellow labs
-three sunshine peacocks
-one Stuart something cichlid.
Two baby unknown, a big unknown peacock and one yellow stripe unknown. Everything seems to be doing good so far in the tank. Total of 19 fish. Give me your opinion!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These are the four fish i dont know what they are

Attachments

• 1425167421346.jpg
    1425167421346.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 163
  • 1425167455027.jpg
    1425167455027.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 1425167477753.jpg
    1425167477753.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 162
Why are the convicts so different? They came from two different people. Are they two different kinds?

Attachments

• 1425167548352.jpg
    1425167548352.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 1425167572086.jpg
    1425167572086.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 145
Honestly the stock is horrible and you're over stocked. Eventually the convicts will pair up, spawn and destroy their tankmates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why are the convicts so different? They came from two different people. Are they two different kinds?

Because only two of them are convicts the other is a Honduran red point or cross.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hahaha i was given most of these fish. When they pair, should i put all the convicts into a 29g?

Really I think only 2 convict pair could happen in a 55 gallon and that's pushing it. I say if u could rehome them or sell them to sombody that is willing to take them. The stock is a blood bath waiting to happen and plus the tank is overstocked. It's a shame tho because a tank full of convicts can be beautiful. Just very very violent lol.

I actually got the convicts from a older lady that had 200 in a 70 gallon

Cichlids need to be over stocked though for aggression

I actually got the convicts from a older lady that had 200 in a 70 gallon

Where they all almost grown or small fry size. Because if they are grown yeesh. That would be a fish keepers nightmare.

Cichlids need to be over stocked though for aggression

No. SA/CA do not need to be overstocked. I know this isn't best example but if this was true people would stack oscars jack d. And ect. And find out fast why this isn't true. The water would be stained red with blood. This usually only applies to munba haps and peacocks of the African cichlid species. Except shell dwellers.

Where they all almost grown or small fry size. Because if they are grown yeesh. That would be a fish keepers nightmare.

They all ranged from full grown like 7 inches to an inch. None were really beat up though

No. SA/CA do not need to be overstocked. I know this isn't best example but if this was true people would stack oscars jack d. And ect. And find out fast why this isn't true. The water would be stained red with blood. This usually only applies to munba haps and peacocks of the African cichlid species. Except shell dwellers.

I have tried to figure out what kinds i have but i dont understand south African and stuff... i just get what others say. Most of mine are peacocks but one is that yellow striped dude. And then the convicts that im moving all into my 29g

This thread isn't going to get a very positive response. Bottom line the stock list is bad. Very bad.
For starters the yellow striped looks like a male Kenyi which is a mbuna, an African cichlid. The convicts I guess you know are south american and generally you don't mix African or south and central american cichlids. There's more here to straighten out but there's a little info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This thread isn't going to get a very positive response. Bottom line the stock list is bad. Very bad.
For starters the yellow striped looks like a male Kenyi which is a mbuna, an African cichlid. The convicts I guess you know are south american and generally you don't mix African or south and central american cichlids. There's more here to straighten out but there's a little info.

The yellow one can also be a bumble bee cichlids. ( but it is still mbuna ).
I agree with the other replies it's not gonna turn out so will.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

With the spacing and lack of a horizontal bar I'm 99% positive its a male kenyi. And when it gets bigger it will likely kill the peacocks. Kenyi are highly aggressive. That is if the convicts don't kill everything first. You need to decide between peacocks or south Americans, then if you choose peacocks try to part with the mbuna. Ultimately this won't work long term.
Also the lady you acquired them from sounds pretty cruel to keep those numbers in a tank that size. That is never alright and you shouldn't look to that as any sort of example of proper fish keeping.

Now let me asterisk this statement by admitting to having a peacock tank with an mbuna in it. I'm only even mentioning it for full disclosure. Its a bad idea, I've been admonished for it. Had I know then, I wouldn't have done it. But just start doing a little more research instead of tossing in random fish and you can still achieve a nicely balanced stock list, but you will have to remove some things or this probably won't end well.

Convicts aren't South American. They're central

Back
Top Bottom