Jewel cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering putting some jewel cichlids in with my mbuna and was looking for somebody who has experience in this field.
I have done some reading up and this seems to suggest that this should be ok.I was looking to get 2 breeding pairs to put in my 143 gallon tank.
Any help will be welcome :)

Bad idea lol mine was highly aggressive to anything he could get away with bullying and water conditions need to be different due to the fact it is a river cichlid something I learned when I first started yet the lfs failed to mention

I'm just letting you kno about my experience but there are cases of them doing just fine as well..... if you are set on getting them as long as the ph is stable you could try and find compatible fish cause as you probably already know cichlids have a wide range of personalities lol

Lol yeah i`ve found that out.I have a pretty aggressive tank and some decent size fish.I think i may have to rehome a few if i go ahead with this plan,but for the most part i should be ok and your advice is well taken especially as you have first habd experience.

i have a jewel in with my mixed mbuna and its nomore aggressive than any of the others. he does try to sneak attack them when he thinks there not looking but he always misses. he has his spot in the tank that he doesnt like anyone in but like i said they are all that way in the tank. i read that if you want to keep a jewel in with mbuna you would want to keep just one because if they decide to breed they WILL become unbareable to the mbuna. i guess its your personal choice. good luck.:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom