kenyi shake.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dellis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My kenyi is about 2 in long. I seen it rocking back and forth and shaking at the opening of a cave. Its the only kenyi I have in a juvi tank. 6 Africans all together. All tests are normal water temp is 78.

What's up?

Does it kind of look like it is having a seizure? If so, that is their little mating dance. It's how they show off to the females. It probably isn't anything to worry about.

Also, just FYI, "bumping" threads isn't allowed on this forum.

I wouldn't worry too much unless it looks like he is trying to rub up against stuff in the tank, as that could be a sign of external parasites.

Actually, I have kept Kenyi's for 5 years, and successfully breed them twice. The shaking is a mating thing. it is to draw the female to take the males anal fin (egg spots) in its mouth. This allows the male to fertilize the eggs already in her mouth. Juvinilles will practice this often, I have even seen females to do it. If they observe this from an adult they will do it more often.

What Alyxx said about rubbing, in some case you do need to worry, HOWEVER, Kenyi's normally rub against decor as a way of establishing territory. They also dig through substrate, and often itch. I would not freak out everytime I saw a Kenyi rub against something, especially if there is another fish nearbye, or if he is rubbing the same place over and over, It can also mean parasites, but I would not conclude parasites in Kenyi cichlids off of rubbing alone, they rub all the time, especially if they are trying to claim a territory.

Back
Top Bottom