Malawi tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sounds like your best bet is to keep as much light as you can out of that very pretty tank. chemicals are for lazy people. enjoy keeping that tank looking its best. get a long handle algae scrubber and algae magnet for the front glass. i like algae on my rocks but thats about it.

IMO, I think you should cut down on the lighting times. Also make the lighting times more like night and day. I think you said you have the lights off for a few hours in the middle of the day. Also, I think you are feeding too much. I feed the same fish that you have Monday, Wednesday and Friday and they do just fine. I also use New Life Spectrum and wouldn't use anything else. I think the curtains would be a good idea also. The food and the light is what alows algae to grow out of control, although some algae is good since the fish you have are algae grazers.

off subject, i am wondering what the ingredients in this N.L.S. are, what is it?

Hi Doogle,
These are the ingredient in the New Life Spectrum Grow:
Whole Herring Meal,Whole Antarctic Krill Meal
Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal
Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic
Vegetable and Fruit Extract
Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini. Tomato,
Pea, Red & Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango,
Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear,
Vit. A acetate,D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3),
Vit. B12 Supplement, Thiamine, DL Alphatocophero (E) Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin,
Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,
L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C) Ethylenediamine
dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous
Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride.

That's all that goes in NLS. It really is amazing food. My Mbuna love it and it really does enhance their color and strengthens their immune systems.
I can't say enough about NLS, it's the best food I've ever used. My fish have never looked or acted so healthy.
I feed at 12:00pm everyday. When I walk in the room, there is always 15 Mbuna in the left corner, at the top of the tank, waiting patiently to eat. I've never seen such polite Cichlids.
How many times have you tried a new food that claims to be the "New Super Food"? Only to watch your fish watch the "Super Food" fall to the bottom, untouched. Or they take bite, spit it out and never touch it again. You end up with a cupboard full of useless fish food.
That won't happen with the NLS line of fish food. Give NLS a try, both you and your fish will love it.
I know I sound like a NLS sales rep., but I'm just an ecstatic :D consumer
with a tank full:invasion: of happy, healthy fish.

algae

UV sterilizer man, get at least a 15w or more and keep the flow rate low. it will kill any free floating algae and the mbuna will take care of the rest that isn't free floating. Particarly yellow labs they love it

I have a uv mate. Big enough for 200l tank but it collects it more than removes it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

thank you wendidell... i cant believe how much meal is in it tho...wow, my super veggie omega one kelp flake looks way better, except the beta carotene, garlic and italian food..lol...i will be trying it soon tho, thank you again

doogle said:
thank you wendidell... i cant believe how much meal is in it tho...wow, my super veggie omega one kelp flake looks way better, except the beta carotene, garlic and italian food..lol...i will be trying it soon tho, thank you again

I used omega one pellets for a few months, and recently switched to nls. I agree omega ones ingredients read better, but do some research on nls and I think you will understand why it is better. My fish are coloring up more already and don't spit it back out like they started to with the omega. We will see how a few months of exclusive nls feeding goes. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium

thank you, i will be trying n.l.s. soon, i still like the idea of feeding organic foods. like comparing home grown meat to store bought.fresh veggies and enzymes goes along way. thanks again, good luck 2 u also

Back
Top Bottom