My African Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO you should reduce the amount of water your taking out unless conditions call for it. I would go to weekly's at 25% and see how that works. 75% is a lot of water to take out just because. I've never seen your levels call for such a drastic water change. Also by taking out that much water it could impact the tanks chemistry and your pH levels although I could be wrong but I thought I read something about that.

Ok, I will do that :) Just figured I'd do a large one since I was already in there, plus I was thinking if my ammonia levels are at .25 if I did 50% or more it would take it down to almost zero :) So should I do a 25% today?

Have you checked your tap water for ammonia?

Yes, I get .25 from the tap... Still dont know what Im supposed to do about that? Does the prime take care of that when I do a wc? Wondering if I shouldnt get the ammonia remover for one of my AC's.... Something to ponder I suppose.

Prime neutralizes the ammonia, but it will still show up when you test the water. It shouldn't be a problem in an established tank though, the bacteria will break down the ammonia quickly enough. The ammonia remover won't work any faster, will simply leave a little less for the bacteria to use.

Prime neutralizes the ammonia, but it will still show up when you test the water. It shouldn't be a problem in an established tank though, the bacteria will break down the ammonia quickly enough. The ammonia remover won't work any faster, will simply leave a little less for the bacteria to use.

Right on, maybe Ill just skip it, I probably dont really need it anyway :)

Soooo I was gonna post this and ask if this was what spawning looked like, sorry its sideways i always forget I have to turn my phone :/ Spawning? - YouTube But then I got in the shower and when I came out I noticed that she is holding, she has a big ol' mouthful! Now my male doesnt want her around :( I feel bad for her! She is hangin by the heater now, hopefully she will find herself a nice Cichlid Stone and settle in :) In the meantime "Clyde" as I like to call him is feeling pretty arrogant and having stand off's with my MUCH larger Peacock. He is pretty full of himself I guess lol

She is def holding... How exciting!!!

He sure is pretty :love:

Attachments

• 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 68
  • dfghdfg.jpg
    dfghdfg.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 73
  • ttttttt.jpg
    ttttttt.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
AndrewsPistol said:
How come she hasn't picked a cave??? Isn't that what she's supposed to do :/

Not really. I have a yellow lab holding right now and she hides in the corner by the heater. Doesn't really need a gave. Have you noticed any digging? Mine dug like crazy and protected the site like crazy!! So much to the point that one fish got to close and was killed. Get close to the fry and your gonna die! Hey that rhymed.

Not really. I have a yellow lab holding right now and she hides in the corner by the heater. Doesn't really need a gave. Have you noticed any digging? Mine dug like crazy and protected the site like crazy!! So much to the point that one fish got to close and was killed. Get close to the fry and your gonna die! Hey that rhymed.

well they "claimed" an area but it was elevated, I will have to get a pic to show ya what Im talkin about. He is still protecting it, she is in the corner under a floating Anubius by the heater, I think I will just let it float if that makes her comfortable. He wont let her back in either unless he thinks she is wanting to spawn but once he realized she isnt interested he chases her around. Other than that everyone else is making a mess of my tank with the sand, they move it wherever lol. That giant Kenyi is digging so bad Im afraid he is gonna collapse the whole right structure. Lol.

Last edited:
Got tons of ridiculously awesome prizes in the mail for my tank today (Luckiest girl in the world :) ) a wicked sweet new powerhead, prime, food, and all kinds of other awesome goodies! Thanks Dino :) Now I need ya to tell me how to work this thing! ;)

AndrewsPistol said:
Got tons of ridiculously awesome prizes in the mail for my tank today (Luckiest girl in the world :) ) a wicked sweet new powerhead, prime, food, and all kinds of other awesome goodies! Thanks Dino :) Now I need ya to tell me how to work this thing! ;)

Post a FTW again and I'll try. You'll have to play with it a lot to find the perfect spot. You have sand so it may not even work. It may blow the sand around. But post a pic and lets start from there.

AndrewsPistol said:
here ya go

I would in your case. Put it on the left hand side towards the back and face it upwards on an angle right and towards the glass. Make sense?

image-4277847099.jpg

Just like that but opposite side. See if it turns too much sand. It may or may not.

I can't seem to get it to stay pointing up, ima keep playing with it :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120407_004419.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120407_004419.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 71
Try twisting it clockwise and you gonna plant those Anubias? lol.

Haha! YES! I have to "replant" them everyday!! I got bit today stickin my hands in there, scared me half to death! My female Nyererei is using it as a little house so I feel bad taking it away from her!

K, its in as best I can get it :) Happy girl!!! :D

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 67
Status