Need a lot of advice to get my Cichlids happy please! pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luisa777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I really need a lot of advice, and I know this is the right place, and hopefully you nice people can help! :D

I have a 10 gallon tank which is now too small for my cichlids I think. I also think I don't have the right stuff in there as in plants and decorations. When I first bought my tank and set it up, I had a few fish die, because I knew nothing about cycling a tank, and absolutely nothing about fish. I bought the tank because my daughter won a fish at a fair, then it died the day after and we went ahead and got a tank with cichlids and other fish who died.
This is what I have in there now, which have managed to survive for about 10 months:

1 Male Kenyi (dominates the tank extremely aggressive :( )
1 Convict (tries to hide in plants and run away from Kenyi used to put up a fight., not much anymore :()
1 Jewel (less active most time spent in a corner :( )
1 Yellow Lab (active enough, but always running away from Kenyi and hiding in his favorite spot, the castle)
had a little catfish but just died a few days ago :( (amazingly enough the Kenyi didn't bother him much)

I have a real problem getting the tank to stay at a good temperature also, please advice on a good water heater. The heater I have is not easy to set temperature and it's either too cold or too hot in there.
If I don't have the heater on the temperature stays at about 72f, and with the heater it goes up to almost 90f! :(
I also have always had a problem with Nitrates being too high. Even with weekly water changes. I just bought a AquaClear 10-30ga with all the 3 inserts. I know this probably started a cycle. :?

I want to get a bigger tank this weekend, I also want to get all the best stuff that I can get for them (and afford)
Please let me know what gravel to get, heater, rocks and plants. Right now I have all plastic plants, but I really dont like them and I have the gravel they sell at petco. I really want to make the bigger tank a nice place for them, and maybe be able to get 1 or two more fish in there if possible in the future, doesn't have to be now.

I love my fish and want them to be happy, and right now it doesn't seem like any of them are happy. The Kenyi is very mean to all of them! even the Convict doesn't put up a fight anymore. The Jewel always seems sad, and the yellow lab is really pretty and seems more content than all of them, but I still think he could be much better.

I love the Kenyi and really don't want to have to give away any of them. I just think that he is upset at his living environment. Lately he has been picking up gravel and trowing it at the glass! my tank really seems too small for them and the plants.

I really appreciate any advice you have to give,and I realize this is going to take some work, but I am ready for it!

Thanks

Luisa

DATE ON THE PICTURES IS WRONG, THE CORRECT DATE FOR THEM IS TODAY! MY CAMERA IS SILLY :lol:

Attachments

• all_129.jpg
    all_129.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 156
  • allofthem_113.jpg
    allofthem_113.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 143
  • convict_640.jpg
    convict_640.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 134
  • convictoncorner_166.jpg
    convictoncorner_166.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 124
  • kenyi_149.jpg
    kenyi_149.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 613
  • lab_113.jpg
    lab_113.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 163
I'm glad that you realize the tank is WAY too small for even one of those fish in the tank. You need to upgrade to at least a 55 gal if you want to keep them. Kenyi are VERY aggressive and require plenty of space.

For a 10 gal tank I'd go with a 50Watt Visi-Therm Stealth heater.

The reason why you are having problems with Nitrates is because of the fish load. Cichlids are VERY messy fish.

The moving of gravel is a common Afrrican Cichlid trait. That's something you will have to get used to.

If you plan on upgrading, I'd go with at least a 55 gal tank. The bigger the tank the easier it will be to maintain good water quality. The gravel that you choose is entirely personal preference. I prefer a sand substrate while others prefer gravel. I don't think you will be able to keep many plants in the tank with the Kenyi. Silk would be your best bet. Africans also prefer a lot of rock work.

Fishyfanatic said:
I'm glad that you realize the tank is WAY too small for even one of those fish in the tank. You need to upgrade to at least a 55 gal if you want to keep them. Kenyi are VERY aggressive and require plenty of space.

For a 10 gal tank I'd go with a 50Watt Visi-Therm Stealth heater.

The reason why you are having problems with Nitrates is because of the fish load. Cichlids are VERY messy fish.

The moving of gravel is a common Afrrican Cichlid trait. That's something you will have to get used to.

If you plan on upgrading, I'd go with at least a 55 gal tank. The bigger the tank the easier it will be to maintain good water quality. The gravel that you choose is entirely personal preference. I prefer a sand substrate while others prefer gravel. I don't think you will be able to keep many plants in the tank with the Kenyi. Silk would be your best bet. Africans also prefer a lot of rock work.

So no live plants would be better for them? or would it not make much difference?
Also if I get the 55ga tank what heater shoudl I get then?
As for the rocks, I am completely lost there. What kind of rocks are better for them and where do I get them?
Thanks!

You could put some live plants in the tank, but they probably won't last long with the Kenyi. They are avid diggers so skip any plants that need to be rooted in the substrate. Travis has a beautiful planted African mbuna tank, but it is a LOT of trial and error.

If you go with the 55 gal tank, you'll be fine with a Visi-Therm Stealth 250 Watt Heater . That's exactly what I have in my 55 and it is a constant stable temp.

You can get your rocks from the lfs or from a garden center. Just be sure to stay away from anything polished or decorative. We have lava rocks, texas holey rock, and varies red rocks in our African tank. You need to have at least 1 hiding place per fish. The Kenyi is going to show dominance because it is naturally a VERY aggressive fish. Our male Kenyi has taken over an entire quarter of the 150 gal tank. Whenever any other fish comes into his territory he chases them away. Be prepared for that, it's in their nature.

Thanks for you reply again! I spent a lot of time reading about the cichlids last night and really trying to understand how to care for them. It is sooo much I need to know about. One thing that I found out is that the ph level in the water needs to be rather higher that it probably is in my tank since I have been using filtered water all this time! I use my drinking water filter because my tap water contains some ammonia when I tested it right out of the sink. Should I just go ahead and start using regular tap water and get a dechlorinator to add to it?

Also once I get the new tank I assume I have to cycle it before transferring my little guys in there right? Do you have any suggestions as to how to go about doing the switch and setting up the new tank so that it cycles quick? I really want to get them out of the 10ga since I know it's way to small.

I know these are a lot of questions and I really appreciate the help

Luisa

Hi, a constant ph is better than trying to alter your ph. Your cichlids will be fine at the ph they are now accustomed to. Once you get the new tank, you will have to cycle it. Here is an article that will help with speeding up a cycle.

You could consider doing pool filter sand for your tank, it is great with cichlids and looks very natural. The cichlids will dig around it in like crazy. It is also far cheaper than aquarium rocks. 50lb bags are less than $15 most places.

I would recommend tap water with Prime for a dechlorinator. It is very inexpensive to use as you use less per dose than most other types of dechlorinator. Your tap water readings may not acctually contain ammonia rather chloramines. Check with your local city or water supply to see if there is truly ammonia in the water.

A pic of pool filter sand....

How high was the ammonia reading in your tap? If it is between .25 and .50, that's just chloramines. By using a product like Prime, it will remove it. A lot of water companies are using chloramies in place of chlorine. It gives a false ammonia reading.

Once you get the new tank, transfer the existing filter to the new tank and run it along side the new filter. Also transfer all of the decor (gravel included). Let this run for a few weeks before adding any more fish or removing any of the decor. Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels carefully and do pwcs as needed. You should be fine though.

You may want to reconsider the Convict as it is a SA Cichlid. When you are ready to add new fish I recommend adding several female Kenyi's along with a "school" of labs. Take caution though because the Kenyi's are very aggressive whereas the labs are very peaceful. You will probably have aggression issues between the two. They can be housed together but you need to provide plenty of rockwork and always be ready to QT one of them. Labs are best kept in groups of at least 5 so that should be a good starting point for you.

HTH

Oh I really like how the pool filter sand looks like, and as long as it is completely safe for the fish then I will be happy with it. I also passed by a garden center today and saw that they have very nice rocks that I think could work in the tank. I live in Florida, are there any special rocks or shells that I could put in there that maybe I could gather around? (of course I would have to make sure to clean them extremely well)

The ammonia in my water was at 1ppm when I tested it, right out of the sink, and another testing a glass of water that sat out for 12 hours, which still gave me the same reading. I tested it when I first got my tank so it's been like 10 months. Also I use a freshwater master test kit, by Aquarium Pharmaseudicals (sp) Because of the ammonia that high I decided to use filtered water which I also tested and had, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. However now that my tank is cycled, would it be ok to use tap water + prime?

So it would be ok to add like 4 female kenyi and 5 more yellow lab once the new tank is cycled and well stablished? won't that be too many fish in there?

Thanks again!

PFS is completly safe for fish, that is all I use.

Skip the shells. They are going to dissolve in your tank over time. When you are looking for rocks avoid anything with sharp corners or anything that peels.

Fill a glass with tap water then add dechlor that removes chloramines. Test it an hour later. If you don't have an ammonia reading after the hour, it's chloramines.

If you decide to go with a 55 gal tank, that setup sounds great. Some people say that you can put 20 Africans in a 55 gal tank, I do not agree with this in the slightest. You'll know when your tank is fully stocked. Since you will be having Kenyi's, I'd stay on the side of caution and not overstock.

I will do the ammonia test again as soon as I get the Prime.
Is bigalsonline.com a safe and fair site to get the prime, and heater at?
Also, my brother is in Texas right now and I asked him to look out for the texas holey rock since he is there. Is that a god rock to have in there with the pool sand filter? will that be ok for the ph? Like Zags mentioned, I don't want to start messing with their ph too much.

Yes I like the 55ga set up like I said, I think that that will be enough and not too crowded in there. However since my Kenyi is already about 2 inches long, and the lab is also about 1.5 inches, where do I go to find the Kenyi females, and the other labs to complete the school? all the fish at my lfs are very small. Or will it be ok to get them small since they will be in groups?

An update on the convict and Jewel. The convict has been doing great since yesterday. Apparently he needed more lighting! I never had the lights on in the tank, just used whatever light came in through the window, since a lot of nice lighting came in, but yesterday I decided to turn on the lights, and behold the convict seemed to come back to life, since yesterday he is out and about and is not letting the Kenyi push him around too much, his appetite is great! he is also swimming much better, and is now also chasing the lab around a bit (I know poor lab, but he is still seems the happiest and prettiest! ) You mentioned reconsidering the Convict because he is SA Cichlid, what does that mean?(I love this Convict, but of course want him to be ok) sorry noob here haha :oops: Also what about the Jewel? is he ok in there with all the other guys that I will bring in in the future? or should I get him/her a friend? :?

Big Al's is an excellent site to order from. I order through them exclusively. If they don't have what I need I will go elsewhere, but I always go there first.

The Texas Holey Rock will increase your pH. But since you have African cichlids (with the exception of the Convict), they will be perfectly fine. In nature they live in a region with a high pH.

You could go ahead and get them all small. As they grow take out the excess male Kenyi's.

I mentioned the Convict because it does not really belong in that setup. Convicts are Central American Cichlids. The others you mentioned are African. It is generally a bad idea to mix Cichlids of different regions.

I have never kept a Jewel so I can't comment on their behavior.

Ok I checked Big Al's and they have good prices. I will get stuff from them :D
I see now what you mean about the Convict :( and I understand, but what can I do with him? I am afraid that if I take him back to the pet store, they will just toss him or something since his fins are still abit damaged from the Kenyi's attacks. He is doing much better but it still worries me what they will do with him :( what do people do in my situation?
As for taking out the excess male Kenyi's you mean once their color starts to change and I can tell who is male and who is female? do I do the same for the Labs? I have no idea how to tell if my lab is a male of female lol. If I take them out, that means taking them back to the store? selling them? oh wow I have so much to learn lol, and I am so greatful for your patience in answering all my questions. Thank you :)

Luisa

p.s suggestion of filter for the new tank? I now have the AquaClear 30 with all three inserts and it's pretty new, because my old penguin bio wheel broke. Can I still use this in the new tank simultaneously with a new filter? If so, which kind is good? Thanks!!!

After you get the new tank you could keep the convict in the current tank and medicate him before returning. That way he is healthy.

Regarding the Kenyi's, once the color changes return the yellow ones and keep the blue ones. Just return them to the lfs. They may give you store credit, they may not. The labs are impossible to sex unless you vent them. I have some that have male characteristics but are indeed female.

I would go with a canister filter if it is in your budget. They are more efficient than hobs and with Cichlids you need that extra filtration. Right now I am running a Cascade 1000 on my 55 gal tank. For Africans I would bump that up to a 1200 and you'll be good to go. Fluval, Eheim, and Filstar are also nice filters.

I'm glad that I can be of assistance. :)

:) ok I look at the filters on Big Al's site and found the Cascade 1200 and some Eheim ones also. I liked the price on the Cascade much better though lol

So if I medicate the Convict once he is alone in the 10gal what is a good medication for his fins to grow back nicely?
Also the jewel seems to enjoy the lighting as well because he also decided to come out of his corner for a while, and I noticed he also has some torn fins since he is also been bullied by the Kenyi.

I think maybe about medicating them both once I transfer the Kenyi and the Lab to the other tank, would it be ok to medicate them both in the 10gal tank? and what would be a good choice of medication?

I only like to give first hand experience advice. I've never had to deal with fish with tattered fins. You may want to make a post in the sick fish forum. They are pros when it comes to knowing meds. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good Luck and keep us all updated!

Sounds like you found your filters. I use a HOB Magnum 250 and a Emperor 400 on my 55 CA cichlid tank. The water quality is incredible. I have an open iron stand so I did not want anything below for looks. If I had a enclosed stand I would definitely have gotten a large cannister filter inlue of the Magnum 250.

I would leave the convict by himself in the old tank and just take care of him as normal. My experience has been that the only thing to help fin damage is time/growth. You may want to add stress coat and/or melafix but I would not add other chemicals. Less stress and good water conditions will help more than anything IMO.

Good luck, you will love your 55 gallon, water quality is so much easier to maintain in a larger aquarium. You may want to purchase a python if you do not have one, will make water changes/gravel vacs a snap.

Good luck!

If the con is happy in the 10g once everyone else it out, I would highly recommend melafix. He will heal very quickly with that and frequent water changes (probably 20% every 3-4 days). I did this for a severum, and it only took a week for her fins to heal.

Thank you all very much! I will keep you all updated!

Going today to a local aquarium shop I found. :)

Back
Top Bottom