New Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So one of the local pet stores that I haunt received a shipment of cobalt blue angels a few weeks ago. I was hemming and hawing about getting one... And finally caved today.

A handsome $14 later... and I have a 3" cobalt blue angel.... I picked up two black veil-tail angels as well, for much cheaper. I figure which ever two pair off can go to my 55 gallon tank and the odd one out can stay in my 46 gallon tank.

Anyways... The only one I could get a picture of, so far, is the cobalt. Hes a brazen little bugger... Hes only been in the tank a few hours and already he is swimming back and forth in the tank while his two buddies are hanging out together towards the back, swimming behind the plants. The cobalt will follow my finger and goes to whatever corner I happen to be watching him from.

The picture really doesnt do him justice...

img_1726786_0_c2997042c6793f27c223e72d15045d59.jpg

Awesome! I look forward to seeing pictures of the others as well. :) He looks really nice. 3 inches is a nice size to buy them at because they should be less finicky than some of the tiny ones. :)

I know... I cant wait until he grows up some. I would have bought all three as cobalts... BUT A) they are expensive and B) Ive heard how inbred they are and in the off chance they do breed... Id rather the babies not be even more inbred.

Besides... I think if that cobalt bred to a black veil tail... The resulting off spring may be rather awesome. I could be wrong.

Hopefully the other two will venture out from behind the tanks. That way I can get a better shot with my less-than-stellar cell phone camera.

Haha! Success!

So I got pictures of the other two, alot sooner than I thought.

First shot: The cobalt kept trying to photobomb the two other angels... I finally had to drop some shrimp pellets in there to get the cobalt to move...

img_1726849_0_053e4c7ca708f4ea628df567cde37cb2.jpg

Second shot: The other two angels took awhile to realize there was food in the tank... "Where'd it go, George, where'd it go?"

img_1726849_1_d8d0e245d9e4c688779a29571153dd7c.jpg

Third Shot: They finally realized there was food and decided to start heading up towards the flakes I added...

img_1726849_2_f3c121ff67b3da6ab933e75aa0e89984.jpg

Not sure honestly. It could be just a different crossing to achieve the blue color, or it could just have been that particular stores name for the color type.

The black ones look beautiful too! Great purchases. :)

BTW, any angels are definitely the biggest photo bombers in the tank. ;)

They are settling in really nice... I turned the lights on this morning and everyone is swimming around - and eating!

I can't believe Ive never had angels before. They are just too beautiful!

So.. Whats the best diet for big, brightly colored Angels?

Currently, in both my larger tanks, I feed Omega One Tropical fish flakes, two algae waffers, and 6-8 shrimp pellets daily... Then about twice a week I do frozen bloodworms.

Mine love the Omega One Cichlid flakes, and Hikari frozen bloodworms. They also eat brine shrimp and love snacking on the duckweed in my tank. Not every picky eaters, IME!

I can tell... I went to feed the rams in my tank last night, not expecting the angels to want to eat after having JUST been put in there... Boy was I wrong. They ate like it was going out of style. They were sucking in giant pieces of tropical flakes and going down to nibble at the shirmp pellets, and even venturing a bite or two our of the algae waffers on their way to the bottom.

My koi angel is the quite the photobomber too. My avatar is a prime example, I was trying to take a picture of the plant in the background.

I feed my angel primarily flakes and frozen bloodworms. She goes absolutely nuts for bloodworms. They are pigs and will constantly beg for food. Be strong and resist the urge to overfeed them.

Hehe, my Tiger Barbs (rest in peace) were like that too. Every time you walked by, they'd follow you and beg. Now that my African Brown Knife is gone (that filthy murderer) I only feed my fish once in the mornings.

Yeah, my angels will eat anything and everything. I agree about resisting the urge to overfeed them. I have to break up algae wafers or else my angels will just steal them all. They also compulsivley stalk the shrimp pellets and swallow them whole. Sometimes I hide food in caves so the angels can't take it. :)

Back
Top Bottom