Oscar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etown612

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've been feeding my Oscar pellets, sticks, flakes, and occasional blood worms...are there any live food that I can feed him to allow him to hunt? I don't care if it's a 3-5 dollar fish I just don't want to feed him guppies or goldies due to poor water conditions in their tanks at lfs, thanks=)

I wouldn't feed any live food. They are not a critical part of the diet. They can introduce pathogens and increase aggression. They are not nutritionally complete or balanced. There is nothing in live food that a high quality pellet can't provide. I have one particular brand that I prefer and recommend. Oscars are particularly sensitive to HLLE, usually caused by the quality of the food and water.

So even a random fish like once a week is still a bad idea? Thanks

IMO, yes.

If you feel you need to provide something other than high quality pellets I would recommend sticking to frozen food, there are fewer risks. There are many options, from large and jumbo mysis, krill, silversides, etc. to things like scallops and shrimps bought in the seafood section of the grocery store. I would minimize these foods though, once a week max. The high quality pellets should be effectively the entire diet.

Oscars are not fish eaters, true they will eat them but insects and worms are a much better option

Ya I'll stick to pellets/sticks/frozen, I don't want him to get sick, thanks=)

Back
Top Bottom