Overstocking American Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bartlette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I posted a thread that i have a 75 gallon, its has two HOB filters rated for the 75 as well as a canister filter that does about 500 GPH. It has heating and... BUBBLES!

Im prepared to do heavy water changes. I can promise once a week if need be and i may not be able to do more than that EVERY week, but I can try.

Lots of hiding places, sandy substrate, natural look. No plants, ever.

Im a type of person that can be counted on to change my mind up until the last second, up until I purchase the fish. So, instead of going for big fish, I want to do medium-sized American cichlids in an overstocked tank.

Im aware that they are not the same as Africans. I didn't think they should be overstocked. But, upon doing more research, I found that quite a few recommend it.

So, I have purchased 2 firemouths. I obviously don't want this to be an empty looking tank. I want to try this overstocking method. I am prepared to sell fish off if the need arises. I am open to trying things, as long as its not something crazy...

Any suggestions?

Sent from a cave in the eastward side o a sand dune.

IMO American Cichlids should never be overstocked one of the great things about Central American Cichlids (like your firemouths) is the personalities and how they interact. to get the best looking happiest fish you need to allow them there own space. you and the fish will both be happier in the end.

I believe you when you say you will stay up on water changes to keep water quality but that is really only 1 factor. The way rift lake cichlids and CA/SA cichlids live in the wild is completely different.

@Rivers2k-
I understand that the environments are completely different. I believe i mentioned that in the original post.

However, i am constantly recommended to overstock the tank by people who have 20+ years in the hobby, unlike me who has about 2, and they also know the difference between Africans and Americans.

However they say to put like 8-9 Americans, which isn't exactly the same as stocking like 30-40 Africans.
Also i understand that the americans have to have similar temperament and have individual personality.

So my original question remains: is there any combinations of medium sized fish that would work in a 75?

I'll just throw it out there... earth eaters?? They're pretty awesome and relatively peaceful I believe..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll just throw it out there... earth eaters?? They're pretty awesome and relatively peaceful I believe..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very few species of geophagus or satanoperca will work in proper numbers long term in a 75. Possibly some gymnogeophagus

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@Rivers2k-
I understand that the environments are completely different. I believe i mentioned that in the original post.

However, i am constantly recommended to overstock the tank by people who have 20+ years in the hobby, unlike me who has about 2, and they also know the difference between Africans and Americans.

However they say to put like 8-9 Americans, which isn't exactly the same as stocking like 30-40 Africans.
Also i understand that the americans have to have similar temperament and have individual personality.

So my original question remains: is there any combinations of medium sized fish that would work in a 75?

Unfortunately its probably just not going to work. I'd say you can find some fish to pair with your firemouths to reach 5-6 fish but that's about it.

Maybe
2 fire mouths
3 female convicts
And 1 more I can't really recommend

This is just cautious guess/suggestion so I'll defer to the experts, freakgecko or hukit can tell you all you need to know.

If you want to try something simple but still interesting I would do a green, gold and redspot severum with a single heckelii. At full grown you would be a over stocked and would need to eventually upgrade.

Ok. I like the idea of the severum. My LFS has a beautiful green, and i could find a medium sized gold. Also, just as a side-note, ive secured a smaller tank that is filtered and stuff to either grow out fish or keep them in. If i find a differnt grouping of fish i like the firemouths can live in it. Its odd sized and idk the gallons but it is a bit bigger than the 29, which should work for a pair. If they dont pair and they have to live in it, i will sell one.

I just have a list if a few combinations I've been thinking about, feel free to shoot me down if need be.

-dwarf pike cichlid, convicts pair, firemouths

-jack dempsey, firemouths, blue acara

-2 blood parrot, green severum, firemouths

-3 red tapajos eartheaters, green severum, firemouths

-2 breeding pairs of firemouths

-dwarf pike cichlid, jack dempsey, firemouths

-salvini, firemouths, texas

Those are just ideas i have. If any of them surely wont work, let me know. Thanks!

@Rivers2k-

To your original question, I have been in the hobby nearly 30 years and anyone one here will tell you those that recommended overstocking American Cichids are mistaken.

But to your other questions there are several medium sized cichlids that will do wonderfully in your 75.

I noticed you mentioned green severum I am a big fan of severums. You can do a gold and green in with your firemouths. you could also add something like a one of the following sajica, convict, honduran red point, rainbow cichlids.

or skip the severums and do a group of firemouths. I had a group of 6 firemouths in a 75 and that was an awesome tank. or a few of two different types of the cichlids I mentioned above.

You could also do a single larger fish with the firemouths. Like a Jack dempsey, Green Terror or Texas Cichlid.

-dwarf pike cichlid, convicts pair, firemouths - YES

-jack dempsey, firemouths, blue acara - YES

-2 blood parrot, green severum, firemouths - YES

-3 red tapajos eartheaters, green severum, firemouths NO earth eaters get to big and need larger groups.

-2 breeding pairs of firemouths - YES

-dwarf pike cichlid, jack dempsey, firemouths - YES

-salvini, firemouths, texas - YES

Those are just ideas i have. If any of them surely wont work, let me know. Thanks!

While stocking an aquarium isn't an exact science that really is terrible advice as that will generally result in aggression issues and potentially poor water quality.

Yes there are loads of options in quite a few genus of such as cryptoheros, archocentrus, thoricthys, and herichthys. These will give you a few directions to start your Google search then let us know what you like.

Last edited:
I wish i could come across those fish... In my area i have no luck getting anything rarer than a convict.. Oh wait thats not rare ??

I pike... Sorry i meant LIKE the idea of the pike cichlids.

I just posted a thread about this my setup is similar to yours.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom