Peacock not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 15 cichlids in 110 gal tank. They all come to the surface at feeding time except for the Peacock which is the largest fish ( about 6" ). I have been feeding them regular flake food, Cichlid pellets and the occasional frozen brine shrimp. The Peacock sometimes nibbles at the food that reaches the bottom but seems to spit it out right away. He is acting normal otherwise so I don't think he is sick. The LFS that sold him to me said that he could be dominated by the other fish, regardless of his size. They said to soak some of the pellets in garlic water and he would eat them but wouldn't the other fish eat the pellets first? Not sure what to do.

My experience, which isn't vast, is if they aren't eating they will soon die. I have had big fish that would not compete and sure enough the eventually died even though they seemed healthy. Now I try to assess how they are likely to do and put the more timid fish in my grow tank regardless of size.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll be!!! I tried the garlic trick and it worked. The soaked pellets sank right away and he gobbled them up off the bottom. Looks like the LFS was right.

Back
Top Bottom