question about cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
it's been about 2 years since i posted on here. I've had my tank up and running ever since thanks to the help of this forum! Unfortunately I havn't kept up with the reading. Most of my freshwater tropicals have died off from age and i have not restocked them with the intentions of packing it in. Just too much work here in this apartment! BUT, then i though about cichlids! My tank is still up and running but has about 3 trops in there and a rubber lip pleco. I know you shouldn't, but what happens to the little guys if i put cichlids in or is that kind of obvious? Also, the tank is well established, can i just start up with cichlids with the exceptions of water temp and food? your input or links is greatly appreciated!!! thanks to all

currently have a cherry barb, neon tetra, glowlite tetra. tank is a 20g high, penguin HOB bio wheel, water currently 78 degrees, all water parameters are where they should be. I don't know what kind of cichlids, have not researched yet. any suggestions

if i was you i would add one of the dwarf cichlid species, Rams, Kribs, Apistos...

Africans (from the rift lakes) would make short work of you other fish, and your tank is not really big enough for much else, maybe a pair of angels...

I have been doing research on this as I have been looking for some cichlids to add to my understocked tank. I have a 20 gallon long, but this should still apply.

I hae tried Rams but are very sensitive to water conditions (and apparently my water conditions must not be pristine, as I have lost four in the past three weeks of having them)

I have heard keyholes but have not found any in my LFS.

Check this site out as it had some good info on different types to consider.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_20g.php

I would either get some more tetra family fish, preferably ones you already have or take what you have back to a LFS, as they are schooling fish and like to have atleast 6 friends to swim with.

You could add a pair of Apistogrammas, Kribs, or Rams....Bolivians are more hardy than Germans. I'd decide on one school of tetras and have 6 of them (would take either the neon or glowlight back, or both if you decide on another type) and then get 2 more cherry barbs. If you have a male get 2 females...if you have a female get a male and a female or 2 more females. Rubber lip plecos get pretty big to be in a 20H. But I guess he'll be ok...just keep up with water changes as they are big waste producers.

So your stocking would look like:
6 tetras
2 dwarf cichlids
3 cherry barbs
1 pleco

The tank will be fully stocked then IMO.

African cichlids get too large for your size tank unless you wanted to go with some Tang shelldwellers. In that case, you'd need to take all your current fish to the LFS, get something to raise the pH and get lots of shells.

:)

Back
Top Bottom