Re-Stocking a 120G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fufu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry to bother everyone but I posted this in general discussion and got some decent feedback but I was still advised to post this here to get more advice. After some thought and discussion with my LFS I've decided to restock my 120G with the following:

4x silver sharks (willing to leave out)

2x pindares ( willing to leave out)

1x nicaraguensis (willing to leave out)

1x multispinosa

1x Parachromis friedrichsthalii

1x jack Dempsey

1x Oscar

1x robertsoni

1x green snook

1x red snook

1x gold saum

1x steindachneri

My LFS helped me with this list and seems it will be ok but I still wanted the advice of everyone here

I know now I'd probably be overstocked but if there's a chance I'd like to add the following:

1x synspilum

1x ghost knife (willing to leave out)

1x blue acara

2x threadfin heckeli

4x rainbow bosemani (willing to leave out)

2x chocolate cichlids

3x clown loaches

I'm looking forward to everyone's input

P.s I'm planning to replace my cannister to make sure my filter can handle all this

Would this work?

Also if it would help I can make a list in order of favourite to least favourite

Fufu

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First I would pick the 1 must have from your list. Then we can go from there to build a good stock that will be happy in a 4 foot 120.
I would forget the snook's the males can reach 20"

First I would pick the 1 must have from your list. Then we can go from there to build a good stock that will be happy in a 4 foot 120.
I would forget the snook's the males can reach 20"

This is too hard. Really struggling to pick one

I really want an Oscar with a parachromis friedrichsthalii or gold saum. I think 2-3 would be ok in a 4'?

Can we start building from here?

Fufu

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a 8ft tank at the minimum to house your first stock list. A 4ft tank doesn't allow for much individual territory which quickly becomes a issues with aggressive new world cichlids. I'd pick one large fish and a few smaller species and call it stocked.

You need a 8ft tank at the minimum to house your first stock list. A 4ft tank doesn't allow for much individual territory which quickly becomes a issues with aggressive new world cichlids. I'd pick one large fish and a few smaller species and call it stocked.

Oh ok

Can I put a Oscar with a gold saum or parachromis friedrichsthalii and smaller species or that won't work either?

Also could you recommend some smaller species?

Fufu

HUKIT is the man with new world cichlids. He wont steer you wrong.

I'm hoping he can lol. Or someone can lol

I really got my heart set on a few fish. Just hoping I can get the right advice before I get the fish

Fufu

I'm not an expert but I think you have too many things that eventually will grow too big.

I can also see the parachromis tearing a lot of the other fish apart. I mean, it's in the same genus as jags and dovii

Not familiar with a lot of those fish but that oscar will most likely inhale those fish when it gets big enough

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not an expert but I think you have too many things that eventually will grow too big.

I can also see the parachromis tearing a lot of the other fish apart. I mean, it's in the same genus as jags and dovii

I understand I can't have everything. That's why I'm trying to get an idea from everyone of what I can have.

From what I know the parachromis doesn't have the same temperament as jags and dovii. It's actually more laid back

Fufu

Not familiar with a lot of those fish but that oscar will most likely inhale those fish when it gets big enough

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Which fish are you talking about?

Fufu

Would a robertsoni and synspilum work with a neon blue acara?

Fufu

Would a robertsoni and synspilum work with a neon blue acara?

Fufu

Yes that would work, I have 5 WC synspilum and they're fairly passive. I think you end stock should be one large and 3-4 medium sized fish along with a school of your choice of tetras or schoal of corydoras.

Yes that would work, I have 5 WC synspilum and they're fairly passive. I think you end stock should be one large and 3-4 medium sized fish along with a school of your choice of tetras or schoal of corydoras.

Ok nice

I think 10-15 neons would be cool in there.

I've never had corydoras. I don't know what to look forward or what species I should look for in terms of shoal

Could you recommend any other schooling/shoaling fish?

Fufu

With passive central americans you could also do a school of botias instead of corydoras. Any of the medium sized ones (yoyos, angelicus, histrionica) would work.

Lemon tetras are my favorite larger tetra, I have them with severums in my 150 back home.

With passive central americans you could also do a school of botias instead of corydoras. Any of the medium sized ones (yoyos, angelicus, histrionica) would work.

Lemon tetras are my favorite larger tetra, I have them with severums in my 150 back home.

Yoyos look pretty nice

How would I need?

Also could I put a SAE?

Fufu

At least 5 for yoyos but they're more fun in bigger groups.

I don't have much experience with SAE but I think it would be alright.

At least 5 for yoyos but they're more fun in bigger groups.

I don't have much experience with SAE but I think it would be alright.

How big would you go with the yoyos?

Fufu

How big would you go with the yoyos?

Fufu

If it were my 120 I'd skip the cichlids and do 20+ yoyos ;) In all seriousness though I would do 6-7 with the rest of your stock.

If it were my 120 I'd skip the cichlids and do 20+ yoyos ;) In all seriousness though I would do 6-7 with the rest of your stock.

Lol not a bad idea

Nice. I'll see if my LFS has any in stock

Fufu

Back
Top Bottom