Scared african cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlstoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an african cichlid 75 gallon tank with about 16 fish. When I first set up the tank the fish were all active and would greet me every time I walked in the room. They follow my finger and follow me when in the room. However, now when I come in the room and or make any sudden movements they all run and hide in the far corner of the tank. I'm not sure why this happens.

Water parameters are great. Temperature is a at constant 80 degrees. Any help at all would be great. I would like them to be the way they were!! If you need any more info let me know!! Thanks!!

I'm dealing with this problem also... But just the other day I did a big water Change (about 60%) and added a little cooler water to the tank.. I did this to try to get them to breed... But now they seem back to normal FOR THE MOST PART and they're also acting like they want to spawn... I've also been moving slower around them and now they seem to not hide as much when I make fast moves... But like I said they're not COMPLETELY back to normal yet... Idk if this helps but maybe try some of those things... It has seemed to help for me so far

Nitrates are good. I did a big water change today. And do them every week. Maybe I should change the temp.

Try dropping the temp a degree or 2... Not to much though...

The temps are fine but what I was saying is try to change something.. Make them feel a little "different"... Idk I'm sure their fine like you said jus give them a couple days I guess.

Thanks for all the help. I'll just leave it alone for a while to see what happens. Hopefully they stop being scared.

baby african cichlids

so they are in a 20 gal grow out tank at the moment they are about a inch and a half I don't know what species they are because they where sold to me as assorted but I think they are supposed to be the ones that grow a max of 4 inches. anyway I have three had four but one died because he was about .75 inches and was bullied away from food. i feed them chopped up guppy along with sinking shrimp pellets and occasional rehydrated shrimp I put a already cycled filter on there so everything should be fine they have three main cabes and a piece of driftwood and I'm gonna build at least two more caves this week.
the problem is the second largest is all of a sudden super skittish i turn the lights on and he shoves himself in the farthest corner of tank and acts so scared I have had them almost 2 weeks now. first time owning africans. it has ben eating but has also been getting chased around by my larger one. advice and constructive criticism is welcome

Back
Top Bottom