Setting up African cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishinstaller26

Aquarium Advice Regular
IMG_1830.jpg

I'm setting up my 55 to house African cichlids more specifically mbunas

This a good setup with the rock work willing to take any opinions

Thats going to look great with some fish, what are you looking for in your inhabitants? For example all males, single species, multiple species, etc.?

I think your tank looks good. My only suggestion would be to add some limestone rocks into your hardscape. PH dives are bad for African cichlids. Limestone will help buffer the water. Research Texas Holey rock. A lot of LFS sell it, usually expensive there. Rock yards and landscaping companies also sell it much cheaper, with a wider selection. Good luck.

I think your tank looks good. My only suggestion would be to add some limestone rocks into your hardscape. PH dives are bad for African cichlids. Limestone will help buffer the water. Research Texas Holey rock.

I would test your kh first. It may be high enough out of the tap where this is not an issue.

Where I live the kh is naturally very and so it is *very* difficult to modify the ph.

I know my hardness is low so
I'm also adding crushed coral to it but I will look for some limestone at my lfs tonight

Back
Top Bottom