Sexing Cichlids - HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey yall its been a loooong time.

Tonight my wife brought home 2 cichlids. Both still very small. 1 is yellow and the other is kinda purple? I was wondering how to tell what kind they are and what sex? I know there is many ways and may not even be able to tell since still so small. I have seen a bunch of yellows, but still don't know what species mine is. She just said African Cichlids lol Is there a difference in electric yellow and and a lab? Cause mine looks like both. It is solid yellow and looks like on its top fin down its back there is a black line almost at the very tip. And its anal? and belly fins. The purple? is almost solid looks like stripes coming in from back to belly and has spots on its anal/tail fin, so I guess its safe to say its a male?? Hypothetically would/could these 2 breed? Im wanting to add more just dont know how to tell them apart and which is good. Mainly around here they are all about this color and markings. Some orange looking, brown, yellow. I want to get a pretty good bit cause I seen a lot of youtube videos and liked the set up and the fish seemed to be fine when there were around maybe 15-20 of assorted colors. My set-up is a 55 gal. and only has a black ghost knife that is about 6 inches long that Ive had maybe a yr. I just moved him from a corner type tank into this long one. Also I liked the way the tanks I seen looked with lots of rocks and stuff. All I have is a big ceramic root thing. I would like to do a lot of rock and plants now that I have some ideas, but is it ok to do with the fish and water in the thank? I know it will be harder. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on your description, the yellow one should be an electric yellow and the purple is a male.

Back
Top Bottom