Shellie's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice but you will most likely need to move the cory out of there. If he gets near their shells they will attack him. If you get a close up look at their mouth they have som fierce teeth.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't they like a higher ph?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea the Corys will be moved to another tank tomorrow I'm not quite done with the scape yet.Yes they like a high ph and the rainbows are in a similar range.

May the force be with you.

The one will be ok for the time being, but since it will be established when you get the others you'll have to remove it to another container for a bit and reintroduce it with the others. I would personally put it in a bucket with an airstone and heater the night before I was expecting the other fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When you add the new fish, I recommend turning off the lights during the introduction, and moving around all the shells. So they can all have an equal chance for shells

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay, thanks for the advice.

To answer mike, I keep Tanganyikan goby cichlids with my multies in a 20 long. It was extremely tough to balance and took a while, since both are pretty conspecific aggressive as well as aggressive towards each other.

If you're looking to do a Tanganyikan show tank, I personally would add a lot of rock to one corner (I prefer holey rock) and then put the shells on the opposite side. This would give you room for rock dwellers such as julidochromis.

My idea was a section of the tank with shell dwellers and leave the rest open with some tall plants on the other end to give the rainbows plenty to hide in.

If your gonna do that, then I recommend putting a barrier between the 2 areas such as, a little wall of rocks or a long piece of driftwood. Or the multis will spread their shells out and start colonizing the tank

If your gonna do that, then I recommend putting a barrier between the 2 areas such as, a little wall of rocks or a long piece of driftwood. Or the multis will spread their shells out and start colonizing the tank

I own 2 different species of shellies and neither of them spread their shells out. They dig out underneath them, or bury others, but mine have never moved them. Some of the larger species may, like callipterus.

If they did move there shells and colonize I would be okay with that. I like the feeling really of the shellies on the bottom and rainbows up top.

My biggest problem at the moment is getting the shellies. Specifically multis, I've looked on every online site and either they don't have them or they are way to expensive to ship.

I own 2 different species of shellies and neither of them spread their shells out. They dig out underneath them, or bury others, but mine have never moved them. Some of the larger species may, like callipterus.

One of my male ocellatus got sick of the other male picking on him, so he moved as many shells as he could to the other end of the tank while the dominant male was distracted by the females.

One of my male ocellatus got sick of the other male picking on him, so he moved as many shells as he could to the other end of the tank while the dominant male was distracted by the females.

Lol my male just scares the female away and buries his shells haha

Mine would double team the shell and push it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You guys are making me jealous.

Back
Top Bottom