Starter cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish56

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anybody know a good small starter Cichlid that is not very aggressive

I like keyholes. They get to be around 5 inches and are very calm. They are awesome for community tanks! And they need about thirty gallons. So what sized tank do you have?

What do you mean by 'starter'. They all require good water conditions. Some are more sensitive than others. I would definitely not recommend rams, discus, or any wild caught fish. Angels are pretty laid back.

I am getting a 56 gallon soon and it has to get along with angelfish

No, you could do some Bolivian rams, or some German blue rams, but they do better in more established tanks

No, you could do some Bolivian rams, or some German blue rams, but they do better in more established tanks

I have to agree there. I had a mini spike in my community tank and lost 4 German Blues. Dwarf cichlids are very sensitive to water conditions, but when things are right, they are spectacular. They really like their softer water and lower ph ( my tank has a ph of about 6.4). To top it off, they are great community fish. I have never had a dwarf cichlid chase a tetra, maybe each other once in a while, but never any of my community fish.

Back
Top Bottom