Stocking and Compatibility Options..and a little too much algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zakry3323

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

So presently I have two tanks, and a third one on the way. My question has to do with my larger tank, a 55 gallon. Presently stocked with:

OB Cichlid
2 Yellow Labs
Chinese Algae Eater
2 Peacock Cichlid (Both female)
Herotilapia multispinosa "Rainbow" - indeterminate age, male
Tin Foil Barbs - 2

Everything is juvenile except the Rainbow. He was a rescue about a month ago and seems to be doing fine. I know he doesn't really belong in this tank, but he's super shy and twice as big as anything else. He leaves everyone alone, and everyone leaves him alone. It's a little early to tell about the peacocks, but they're old enough now without showing any color that I think I can safely say they're both females. OB is about 3 inches long and rules the tank for now.

I've got lots of different rocks and quartz pea substrate. The tank is also planted (everything anchored, of course). This combination keeps the water just slightly on the harder side, and everyone seems to be happy at this point.

My question is in reference to some of the algae. I've got more than a little, and while the chinese algae eater cleans up a little, I know he's not going to go near the brush algae on my anubias.

I was wondering if I could add one or more siamese algae eaters, as they seem to be the only buggers willing to eat this stuff. I'd also really love some further recommendations on anything else that that I could add, or should transplant into the new 45 gallon display tank that I'll be setting up in a few weeks.

I change the water 25% every week, and keep the T8's on for about 8 hours a day. Nitrates and Ammonia are pretty much non-existent.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I know it's probably not the species you were looking for, but my oto's keep one tank clean, the other is cleaned by Odessa barbs - the seem to be the ones to tackle the black brush algae - my chinese algae eater only seems to enjoy eating the slime off the slower fish...

Sounds neet! They're all juvies right now, but should I be afraid of any attacks the the otos and barbs would get from hanging out with my cichlids? They're generally peaceful except for my OB, who seems to be ok if you stay away from his territory.

And you're definitely right about those chinese suckers. Mine ate plenty of algae...for about 2 weeks. Then he wised up and started eating pellets instead. He's about 2 and a half inches long now and already pretty aggressive. I think I'll be moving him.

Back
Top Bottom