The babies are out now what????!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a small add-on to what ppl said on the 1st page...you could buy a sponge filter if you want, instead of covering the intake of your current filter

dont always asume he's eatin em. mine use to colect them in there mouth then when they got to the spot they wanted them then they spit em out. my cons made 1 big hole under a hollow log where they bred.

There is a very good chance that the father is eating them. In new pairs of convicts like mine, they need a lot of practice to be good parents, like any other parents. I've had mine for about 3 months and they lay around every 2 weeks. Their last lay, they finally raised the fry to free-swimming stage, then they got eaten though, or just all died somehow. They laid a few days ago so hopefully they should let them get farther this time.

Just give them sometime and eventually they should beable to raise their young.

The dad will eat them. I have bred Green Severum, Jack Dempsey and Texas Cichlids. With enough hiding places a few may make it. If you want to raise them I would remove them when they start free swimming and are still easy to catch. I used a hose to siphon them out, Saves your fingers.

I found it interesting that out of approximately 100 fry 5 or 6 will out grow all the others and dominate the tank. Even after they where 1/2" the mother would not eat them when offered as food. Dad had no problem.

I agree with the one person about leaving them alone.i just had about 25 bumble bees.everyone said to get the parents out.i made a mess and disrupted everything.i ended up leaving them alone.that was 3weeks ago and they are growing everyday.also you can feed the freeze dried plankton.crumble it up real good and in a few weeks they will be good to go.

Anyone have experience with removing the eggs before they hatch? It seems like you could get more frequent spawns that way.

My teacher had a shell in the tank and took it out to try to grow them out, but I think the survival rate was pretty low.

I suggest waiting till they are wigglers, then just siphon them out into a bag, then put them into a jar or spare tank for them to grow out in. Then you know that they will get direct food and will always get what they need.

oK UPDATE time my babies are all doing great i gat about 70 fry they all are freee swimmin eveybodys still good the mom is protectin evrybody so so far so good really strong and fast growin fry

if you wanna have some fun then go buy sme feeder fish and stick em in the tank and watch how protective she'll be its amazing

lol ill see it always fun to see the feeders run for ther lives

I have no experience with convicts, but with my yellow labs, I put the babies in a floating fry tank thingy in the main tank and let them grow until they're big enough to not be eaten (or at least run fast enough to get away).

Back
Top Bottom