Tiger Oscar Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of getting a 4 inch Tiger Oscar Cichlid soon. I have talked to my local breeder about them and mentioned I was going to put it into a sanded bottom tank. He said it would be ok as he does the same set up for his and has never had a problem with the sand. Anyone else using sand in their cichlid tank? Also I will be getting some kind of bottom clean up crew since the tiger is kind of a messy eater. I was thinking of either some convicts or a small [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Plecostomas. Any other suggestions for me and for the tiger. I will be using Giant Danios Fry for food until they are gone, then switch to a regular type of food for it. It will be going into my 55 gallon tank and then later on to a larger tank.
[/FONT]

Since Oscars are a messy fish, sand would be a good option to prevent any excess feces and detritus from getting lost in a larger pebble type gravel thus making it easier for you to clean out. Fair warning, good filters and water changes are going to be your best clean up crew with Oscars, especially as they grow larger. I strongly suggest you don't rely on other fish to do the job. ;)

Hope this helps

If you get those convicts they gonna kill your baby Oscar, but if they don't when your Oscar out grows them he's gonna kill them. Oscars can grow up to 18 inches.

I would pellet train your oscar for first before introducing live food.

If you only have a 55g, then the oscar should not have any other fish in with it. With one oscar you'll need to do at least 3 50% water changes every week to keep up with the waste produced even if you plan on a larger tank.

Get the larger tank first before getting tank mates

ok I just got a 75 gallon im picking up tomorrow, going to do sand and DHG. Convicts are only 1" in size, the Oscar is 4", how will the convicts eat the Oscar???? I have to put it in the 55 until i get the 75 set up (1-2 weeks max).

The oscar may try to eat the convict, or it may just chase it. Give the convict a cave that the oscar can't get into.

I have a 1 -4" Parrot, 1 - 4" Convict, 1 -12" Pleco, & 1 -4" Raphael Catfish with my Oscar in a 75 gal tank. I've had them for just over a year, I got all except the pleco and Raph at the same time, which I had 1st. I introduced the cichlids at the same time, and all were less than 3". The only time I have ever seen the Oscar be even remotely territorial or aggressive is when I feed fresh food. The Parrot and Convict have gone back and forth with their claims to caves etc., the Raph is very shy & nocturnal and has always kept hidden under or in something, I have found as long as there is plenty of suitable places for each to make a claim/home to then they are fine. If they seem to be getting too aggressive and territorial I just move stuff around & add or remove objects. It puts them all on a level playing field again. I wish you luck :)

Thanks for the info. I will have to wait until the Xmas tree comes down. I am going to move the 55 to where the tree is and the put the 75 where the 55 is. I am going to try and buy a stand and hood this coming friday for the 75. I need to get it set up soon, but in the mean time the oscar will have to put up with the 55 community tank. I did buy some live small crickets for him today, how many should I give him in a day? He has already eaten 6 of them.

This Oscar is about 4" now and I know he'll grow larger, but hopefully not THAT BIG!! How many pellets and or cricket's should he be fed daily???? Yesterday he ate 4 pellets at dinner time. Is this normal???

They eat a LOT!!! What size pellets? I feed all my juvies hakari sinking pellets, I think the "med" size ones 3mm? Which can range from 4-8 of them depending on size of the fish. My 4" grammode eats like 5 of them a feeding. Maybe 1 or two more when I'm trying to sneek some to my cons.

large cichlid pellets are being fed. Convicts get two crushed up and dispersed in the water so they sink.

Back
Top Bottom