Vacation Feeding of Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I am planning to be gone 5-7 days, what should I do about feeding my Cichlids? Can I just leave them in the dark for that long without feeding them?

I picked up an autofeeder a few weeks ago and have been monitoring it. it feeds on my normal schedule so they don't know the difference. it's velcrowed to my hood and an air pump keeps moisture out.

NyteGTI said:
I picked up an autofeeder a few weeks ago and have been monitoring it. it feeds on my normal schedule so they don't know the difference. it's velcrowed to my hood and an air pump keeps moisture out.

I'm seeing mixed reviews on auto feeders. I can see needing it for an extended away time. Is it really needed for just 5-7 days?

You are right to be wary of the auto feeders. My husband had one and even on the lowest setting, it still fed about 3 times more than the fish required.

Feeding blocks, meant for vacation feeding, don't work either. All they do is foul up your tank.

just fyi not all feeders "overfeed". mine on the lowest setting drops in like 5 1mm pellets.. and the highest probably 1.5 teaspoons and there's like 8 settings between.

If you have found a feeder that you trust, by all means list the product name so that others can benefit from your positive experience. (y)

and to answer your question, no it's not required they wont starve.. but they could become additionally aggressive due to hunger and lack of food and thats what I try to cover my bases on. not so much for their nutritional value.

I'd rather come home to happy fish then fish tearing eachother apart.

This is the one I'm talknig about.

I'd never heard of it and like you I questioned auto feeders. it's been running for 2 weeks now in my tank and I couldn't be happier. the only problem is setting up the feeding time requires you to turn the feeder on at the time you want to feed daily, twice a day(8 hrs apart) or 3 times/day(6 hours apart). it's not too bad.

watch ill come home to it broken now lol

That's definitely different than what my husband had. Thanks for posting the link.

Back
Top Bottom