12g Nano cycleing problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TinyPatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just started up my 12g aquapod reef tank and i am a little worried. First off i got the tank off CL and it already had the sand in it with water just a little below the surface of the sand to keep it from drying out. I got home and didn't rinse the sand just started filling with distilled water and salt mix. Was that a bad move on my part? I put about 15 lbs of live fiji and tonga rock that i got off CL too, it came from a tank that was being broken down. had no light for a month and the temp was 57 degrees Fahrenheit. still had purple on it tho. Please help...

You should have mixed the salt with the distilled water in a bucket. This way your not stirring around the sand thats already in there.

-Dylan

Oh because you said I added the water and salt. So i thought you didn't. Can you clarify on what you mean you left no light for a month? When did you get the tank?

-Dylan

The person i got the LR from was breaking down his second tank and had it half full with LR and water. He sold the light that he had on the tank a month earlier so he had no daytime light on it except for the ceiling room light and light coming through the window.

Looks good! What's the nitrates,nitrites,ammonia, and pH? Oh and salinity. :)

-Dylan

I had everything on an excel spread sheet on my computer then my computer crashed and it didnt save. Everything was pretty normal except for the ammonia which was at i think 50 ppm. Salinity was 1.025 temp is around 76 F and climbing. Im going to test tomorrow and post what i have.

You do know about cycling right? Im guessing you do. I believe it'll go through a mini cycle, and take around two weeks or so for everything to stabilize.

-Dylan

Oh haha. Of course you do. That's the name of this thread!

-Dylan

Lol yea.. Do u think i should have cleaned the whole tank before setup or should it be ok? Some carbon pieces got into the sand but im taking it out with a turkey baster. How long till i can put a clean up crew in?

PH-8.o
Temp-76 degrees F
Alk-1.7-2.8
Ammonia- 0.25 ppm/ 5.1% toxic ammonia per liter
Nitrite- 0.05 ppm
Nitrate- 20 ppm
Salinity- 1.025

TinyPatFish said:
I had everything on an excel spread sheet on my computer then my computer crashed and it didnt save.

Unless you have issues with Internet connectivity, this is why it's helpful to have your spreadsheet in google docs (or any other similar online document repository).

You have diatoms which is a good sign your cycle is going good. I really like your rocks looks your tank is going to be beautiful once it matures. Wait until your ammonia goes down before adding any CUC.

Back
Top Bottom